Help with DIY canister filter. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with DIY canister filter.

Today I picked up a 2 foot long section of 4" PVC and a female threaded adapter (<<<click there to see link)with a flat plug to screw into that piece and a cap for the other end.

I have some tubing with shut off valves from an old canister filter that broke years ago. I was thinking of using the whole 2 foot long section and running a powerhead through the threded cap section. Then the output could come right off of the powerhead (which would be attached to the inside of the cap).

What's the best way to run the input/output? Shoudl I run the input through the bottom and the output from the top to catch more detritus int he bottom? Does it mattter?

And how much flow shold I shoot for? This will be on a 54 gal corner tank, but since I capped off the back of the tank for an overflow (was going to be a reef tank) it only holds about 30 gallons.

I was planning on using about 20 lbs of aragocrete that I made for another reef tank. For those of you who don't know it's basically like home made live rock. I run a lb. per gallon on my reef tank without ANY other filtration and have no nitrates at all so it seemed like a good idea for a canister filter. But what else do you guys recomend for filter media?

And any other input would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
I like the idea of water coming into the bottom and leaving through the top. As for media, you can use just about anything. Pillow Stuffing, for example.

But ...your powerhead had better be incredibly powerful. As far as I know, powerheads are not designed to deal with resistance (like the resistance that would come from gravity protesting water running straight up through a tube, or a cotton filter resisting water being pushed through it). Have you looked into the horsepower rating of an average canister pump?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
your powerhead had better be incredibly powerful. As far as I know, powerheads are not designed to deal with resistance
I've used them for sump pumps and to run water up and over the tank for an auto top off system on reef tanks so I know they can handle the work load.

I've found that some of the "sump pumps" that are designed to be used with a few feet of lift actually burn out faster than a good quality powerhead. Specifically the Quiet One line of pumps. They go out every 3-6 months.

The only problem is that powerheads are rated at a certain flow rate WHEN THEY ARE RUNNING IN THE TANK. I'm guessing that the GPH ratings that I'll see on the box of a canister filter will be what it pumps after lifting the water several feet.

That's part of why I'm not sure which pump I should go with.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'm guessing that a 400 GPH powerhead would put out about 150 GPH after ~3 feet of head though.

Does that sound about right for a large canister filter like this?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
I'm guessing that a 400 GPH powerhead would put out about 150 GPH after ~3 feet of head though.

Does that sound about right for a large canister filter like this?
This is mine 500 gph filter with Atman powerhead on top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7h4GfF-w8g

Manufacturers are putting hoses on top of carnister because that carnister takes less space in stand and its easier to disconnect hoses and maybe its easier for them to produce. For us DIY-ers its better to have up/down configuration since we cannot produce complicated head of filter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
This is mine 500 gph filter with Atman powerhead on top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7h4GfF-w8g

Manufacturers are putting hoses on top of carnister because that carnister takes less space in stand and its easier to disconnect hoses and maybe its easier for them to produce. For us DIY-ers its better to have up/down configuration since we cannot produce complicated head of filter

That was some serious flow. So your water flows into the filter on the bottom and out of the thop right?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmelnick View Post
That was some serious flow. So your water flows into the filter on the bottom and out of the thop right?
Yes. My first version of filter had both hoses from top but just complicates things and you dont get much except more compactnes so i looked on my Eheim 2215 and made it like it is now.
I have to filter 100g and powerhead itself was only 20$ so why skimp on output... I expect it to work without cleaning about 6 months so output will drop off considerably and some extra power is good to have.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

majstor76
Awsome canister filter.

what container did you use? Where can I buy one?
How easy is it to open to clean?

If you were to do it again, what would you change?

How about a complete parts list?

thanks for posting.

bob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode