Best DIY cO2 Diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Question Best DIY cO2 Diffuser

I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to start up a DIY co2 system. I'm confident with everything except the diffuser at the end.

Would it be acceptable to attach the exit line to the intake of my Aqueon quiteflow 10? I want something that's simple and cheap...preferably DIY if possible.

Would purchasing a wooden airstone work just as well?

Thanks
Oakie625 and Oakie625 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
I use a piece of a bamboo chopstick. Works very well and doesn't look bad. It's on the first page of the link in my signature. Check it out!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

wow that's nice. Does it have to be a bamboo chopstick or can it be just a regular cheap one from a chinese restaurant. i just made a trip to walmart (my suitemates wanted to go) and i picked up some tubing, sugar, yeast, baking soda, valve check, and two small airstones.

I spent $11 in total so if this works im going to be very happy.

Nikon Pimp Club #39

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I built this one today. It cost me about $8 to make, looks like a ceramic one, doesn't take up a lot of space and produces fine bubbles. I stole this design off someone from youtube.

Easy to make, vinyl hose, a plastic syringe, 3 cotton circle facial things, and a suction cup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	116.jpg
Views:	4562
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	26855  

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Has anyone tried glueing the end of the tube shut and then making a tiny pin hole to let the co2 out? Just wondering if that works.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Johnny I think I have seen that design. Where did you find the plastic syringe? The only thing I was confused about is i thought they made the rings from cotton balls that he jammed up into the tube or something.

Nikon Pimp Club #39
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
I have a 10 gallon tank that I want to start up a DIY co2 system. I'm confident with everything except the diffuser at the end.

Would it be acceptable to attach the exit line to the intake of my Aqueon quiteflow 10? I want something that's simple and cheap...preferably DIY if possible.

Would purchasing a wooden airstone work just as well?

Thanks

I use a wooden airstone and it works fine. But I wouldn't mind trying out the bamboo chopstick idea when the airstone has outlived its usefulness.
Cresta and Cresta like this.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
JWhere did you find the plastic syringe?
Any medical supply store. They're all over the place, and the syringes are dirt cheap. Other uses for them in our hobby including measuring out ferts and other chems, spot-dosing plants for algae outbreaks, and squirting soapy water on CO2 setups to find leaks.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Johnny I think I have seen that design. Where did you find the plastic syringe? The only thing I was confused about is i thought they made the rings from cotton balls that he jammed up into the tube or something.
The plastic syringe i got at petco in the dog medicine section for $2.50 the 10 ml. i also had to put the airline in boiling hot water to slip it over the nipple of the syringe. I got the piece of clear vinyl tubing from home depot, 5/8 x 1/2 in 10ft for $5 ( in case i wanna make extras).

The cotton balls thing is kinda tricky. In that person's demo they just took the circle cotton pad and cut it in half and shoved as many they could fit into the hose.

I Just cut maybe about a centimeter thick straight line on three of the cotton pads, then and only using the center piece lines i cut, i wrapped them very tight and stuck into the tubing. Shoved the tubing into the syringe grab a suction cup and your ready to go. It seems like it takes a little while for it to get going, think it builds alot more pressure to shove through the cotton .

Chopstick seemed to produced large bubbles every few seconds for me. I like wooden airstone but the fineness of the bubbles seems to decrease after awhile.

Good luck if you decide to go this way, you won't regret it if you make it properly, I haven't after a day and a half lol
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I just made a DIY Co2 and this is what im using. Nice because it adds extra filtration. http://www.petco.com/product/13796/H...FishFC_Filters
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Algae Grower

Zmuda, that is exactly what I use. It works really well and is cheap.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnygstacks View Post
I built this one today. It cost me about $8 to make, looks like a ceramic one, doesn't take up a lot of space and produces fine bubbles. I stole this design off someone from youtube.

Easy to make, vinyl hose, a plastic syringe, 3 cotton circle facial things, and a suction cup.
do you have the youtube link?
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyone View Post
Zmuda, that is exactly what I use. It works really well and is cheap.
Good, i just got it like an hour ago and am mixing the suger and stuff now. I glad to know it works good.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyone View Post
do you have the youtube link?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y2QhbVo6HI&NR=1
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmuda View Post
Good, i just got it like an hour ago and am mixing the suger and stuff now. I glad to know it works good.

check this out http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...2-reactor.html

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode