DIY Moonlights! 15$ Check it out! Video on post 8, ignore sound - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
DIY Moonlights! 15$ Check it out! Video on post 8, ignore sound

Hey everyone,

As per another Reef forum this guy mentioned something about Advanced Auto for some of their LED they use on cars...

Well here it is! And it's the best 15$ I've spent in the last 3 months on anything aquarium...not really

For these too shots, they may seem bright, but I turned ISO to 3200, shutter speed to 1/20, and kept aperture low to make sure it would show up... So.. here's how it looks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fishykid1; 01-22-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
i like it!!! does light it up for view at night and does moonlight have any benefit other than asthetics

-Jason-
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
whats in the jar?

Stop Arresting Responsible Adults!

SunSun Pimp #39

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My MTS with PFS cap and then DHG in for a test. It's grown like mad in less than 2 weeks...sent up 6-7 new plantlets in a weeks time.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
That looks like a really cool DIY. Excuse the newbie question... But, how did you wire it in?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Initially the wires were connected to one of the "try me" type of buttons and battery packs.

There was a red wire connecting the 'try me' switch to the battery pack that I cut from the battery pack, as it had no use.

After that, there was 2 small black wires going to each string of 4 LED's off of the battery pack. I cut those off right at the battery pack as well. They were the 2 Negative wires. Each of the small wires went to 1 string of 4 LED's.

On the little 'try me' switch, there was 2 black wires with a white line going along the edges. I cut this as well. Each wire went to a string of 4 LED's.

I took the transformer, 12V 400mA, and separated the end. Again there was a completely black wire for negative, and a white strip for positive.

After that I striped all the wire's ends until I had about 1/2" bare copper then, since I wasn't sure if I was going to keep them wired like this (adding or taking some away) I twisted the positives to positive and negative to negative. I just put a little electrical tape on them, just to see if they worked.

And that's about it :P It's really not hard. If I take it back apart I'll take more pictures...

I may get a voltage changing transformer today that changes from 12-7-5 V, because it may be a tad too bright.. But I'm pleased with the results.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman03 View Post
i like it!!! does light it up for view at night and does moonlight have any benefit other than asthetics

Thanks

Moonlights are for aesthetics and a lot of research has been done that says moonlight can help some species spawning.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here it is... with lights on and lights off. Video taken with the lowest setting on my camera to save space. The whole substrate is dimly lit

Hope you enjoy this video!

Video to Photo bucket link, not sure how to post videos just yet.

http://s742.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_2607.mp4

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/86%)
Great DIY project. Moonlights look great. I am looking forward to the possibility of seeing some pics of the actual wiring. Pics will help us non-techies get a better grip of the setup. Thanks for sharing.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Will do! I'm going to wire it better this weekend, right now I just have electrical caps. I'll take pictures as I redo it It took all of 20 minutes to do, once i got the dang 'try me' button off...

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I know its a bit old, but did the transformer come with the set up? or did you have to buy it seperately..

Anyone that reads this, could you PM me where to buy a decent (cheap) set up...?

Not to hijack the thread...

I have a 33g (36" x 12" x 18) I am getting a coralife 96W for it, and going to be doing a paintball CO2.

Looking to have some 'moonlight' affect. Is it just as easy as buying a LED strip and then some sort of 12V power supply and splicing the wires? (ie. a power supply for a computer?) sorry for the newb questions. Electricity isn't my best subject, hammer and nails kind of guy

Thanks in advance... (sorry for hijacking)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not hijacking at all. I had a spare transformer laying around and I just spliced in the wires.

As the OP, I went to Autozone and saw their LED car lights for under dash and accents. They were like 10-15$ for all of them (8). They don't need a driver, just a 12V transformer. They are a little bright and I wish they were a little wider angle, but they do what they're supposed to do. I've had them for 4 months now and haven't had a problem.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishykid1 View Post
They are a little bright and I wish they were a little wider angle, but they do what they're supposed to do. .
If you have spares, try sanding the plastic a bit, in the center of the lens.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If you have spares, try sanding the plastic a bit, in the center of the lens.

Great Idea! That would probably be fine. They are encased in a waterproof housing... so it should be okay to sand a little.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode