Rebuilding a 35g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Rebuilding a 35g

This project started about the same time I decided to start my own TC business about 2 weeks ago. I work 12h days in semiconductor facility so my time is limited currently on how far I can get each week.

I have a 55g hexagon tank that a friend gave me that is currently cycling that I am going to use as a fish hotel while I do the work in the tank, since silicone will need time to cure between each major step.

This started out as "i'm going to build an internal sump with a fluidized bed into the back of the tank" into what follows below. I'll continue to update as I go.

This is a ~35g tank. 35x13x17". Currently heavily planted low tech tank. Sand substrate. VERY stable water chems tho.

Plan is to remove the top rim and replace it with euro bracing. Add a glass top, acrylic risers that will suspend my lighting over the tank and look like they are floating in the air. Redoing all silicone seals in the tank since they're about 20 yrs old. Once that cures, I'm going to add in the acrylic sump inside the tank, and the backdrop I am building. Backdrop is concrete over EPS foam that I got for free at a local furniture store. The concrete is going to be acid etched, painted to look more like rocks, and sealed with clear coat epoxy. I'm dirting the tank and capping it with the sand that is currently in the aquarium. The driftwood.... was originally glued to the slate. But that didn't last, as soon as I put it in the 55g to soak it before super gluing plants on it, it broke off and floated up. So now I've also cemented it to the rock. No games anymore haha. I'm going to soak and leech it in a bucket before it goes in with the soil and plants and fish.

Sump is one of my design. Simple 3 chamber. Mechanical and stationary bio filtration (ceramic) in first. Fluidized bed of k1 micro in center. Heater, return pump, and a CO2 reactor hidden in last. Water return will be diverted partially through the CO2 reactor, and partially out another hidden outlet in the backdrop. k1 is currently cycling in a a fish bowl with air bubbler, bacterial supplementation, and direct ammonia addition. Ceramic media is cycling in the HOB filter currently on the tank while I progress on what I can while waiting for the hotel tank to cycle. So once build is completed, between using the existing sand as cap, and having this media precycled.. the tank should be ready for fish as soon as water chemistry stabalizes from soil and exposed concrete on the base of the "tree". Theres going to be a bubble disk hidden in there, and also a bubble wall on the right end of tank that the fish currently love and I plan to re-use.

Plumbing is integrated in the back. Going to be hidden. Filled in with foam and then cut flush so it fits against back of tank while keeping water out, along with critters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	30125367_10215613920678258_1672512000_o.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	846201  

Name:	29791964_10155506762967076_7816467971911450624_o.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	846209  

Name:	30725904_10155525503102076_4840685587226689536_n.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	846217  

Last edited by adkaquascaping; 04-15-2018 at 04:46 PM. Reason: trying to get images to upload properly on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 06:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (69/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
nice background!

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode