Could i use this coffee table for a 20 long? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By vanish
  • 4 Post By Surf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could i use this coffee table for a 20 long?

I have this coffee table that's about 40" long and i'm wondering if it would be safe to use it as a stand for a 20 long. Would it be unsafe to use with there being 5" of space on each side of the tank? I live in an area where i literally cannot find an "aquarium stand".

Last edited by Ravynn; 04-13-2018 at 03:14 PM. Reason: url
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

I would think so. I have a 20 high on a coffee table that isn't much different than that. I've stood on it before to clean fans etc and I weigh 250, so

Sounds like the tank will be inside that overhang for what it's worth, but I'd think that top would support it anyway. Each inch of a 20 long has only so much weight pressing down, I'd think it could support it easily. Now...I'd make sure it is sturdy going sideways--tipping, in other words. A 20l is low, and that table's legs look like they will be outside/close to where the tank edges will be, so I think you'd be just fine. You also wouldn't want it to slide, which it might on that tile if it was bumped into.

I'm about as far from an engineer as you can get though--might want to get more opinions!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
It will hold the weight just fine, but make sure the legs don't wobble. I'd be much more concerned about racking (side to side movement) than it holding the weight.
Ravynn and Ravynn like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
I would think so. I have a 20 high on a coffee table that isn't much different than that. I've stood on it before to clean fans etc and I weigh 250, so

Sounds like the tank will be inside that overhang for what it's worth, but I'd think that top would support it anyway. Each inch of a 20 long has only so much weight pressing down, I'd think it could support it easily. Now...I'd make sure it is sturdy going sideways--tipping, in other words. A 20l is low, and that table's legs look like they will be outside/close to where the tank edges will be, so I think you'd be just fine. You also wouldn't want it to slide, which it might on that tile if it was bumped into.

I'm about as far from an engineer as you can get though--might want to get more opinions!
It's 20" wide and also only 16" high (which is no problem for me), i forgot to mention that, so yes it would be inside the overhang. I got someone thats a little over 200lbs to move around on top of it and nothing happened. I might move it to another room where it wouldn't get bumped into.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Algae Grower

I would think it would based on the pictures. It looks like the legs butt up against the bottom of table top which will help distribute the weight to the legs and then to the floor. My biggest concern would be making sure the table top doesn't bow down from the weight of the tank, but looking at the direction the of grain in the wood is going in the provided pictures, the trim pieces until the table top should help support the tank. I cant tell if the wood is laminate or real grain so that can change things a little as well. If you would rather error on the side of caution you could reinforce the table top.

Just starting out
55 Gallon community tank
20 Gallon community tank
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by block134 View Post
I would think it would based on the pictures. It looks like the legs butt up against the bottom of table top which will help distribute the weight to the legs and then to the floor. My biggest concern would be making sure the table top doesn't bow down from the weight of the tank, but looking at the direction the of grain in the wood is going in the provided pictures, the trim pieces until the table top should help support the tank. I cant tell if the wood is laminate or real grain so that can change things a little as well. If you would rather error on the side of caution you could reinforce the table top.
That's what i'm most worried about; the middle bowing. I have a cube tank on a sturdy particle board cabinet (not made for aquariums), which is 31" long. I was considering using this for the 20 long since it's the same length but i'm not sure if i should use that (i don't know how much weight it can hold) or this coffee table. The coffee table looks like solid wood to me.

What are you thinking of as far as reinforcing? Center brace?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 04:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

20 gallons of water weighs 160 pounds. If you weigh that much or more sit on the table. If it takes the weight use the table. If you don't weigh that much ask someone else to to sit on it with you.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

That looks like solid wood pieces glued together to make a solid piece. That should be very strong as far as bowing. Like Surf says though, have someone sit or stand on it. Main worry for me is side to side as I mentioned. I always assume a dog or kid might bump into my tanks (I have both, but even if you don't, you may have friends! )
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravynn View Post
What are you thinking of as far as reinforcing? Center brace?

If I was going to brace it I would do it in the center and run it long wise the length of the table. You can hide it between the braces that are there. The other option would be to add a 5th leg right in the middle to help support the weight.

I would also guess that the table is strong enough as is.

Just starting out
55 Gallon community tank
20 Gallon community tank
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by block134 View Post
If I was going to brace it I would do it in the center and run it long wise the length of the table. You can hide it between the braces that are there. The other option would be to add a 5th leg right in the middle to help support the weight.

I would also guess that the table is strong enough as is.
I might do either one of them just to be cautious. Would it make a difference if i put the tank in the center or more to one side of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokely View Post
That looks like solid wood pieces glued together to make a solid piece. That should be very strong as far as bowing. Like Surf says though, have someone sit or stand on it. Main worry for me is side to side as I mentioned. I always assume a dog or kid might bump into my tanks (I have both, but even if you don't, you may have friends! )
I hope it's that strong. We shall see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
20 gallons of water weighs 160 pounds. If you weigh that much or more sit on the table. If it takes the weight use the table. If you don't weigh that much ask someone else to to sit on it with you.
I got someone that weighs 215lbs to stand/walk on it and it was fine.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Most of the tank weight is around it's circumference..
Many tanks have floating bottoms so little weight bearing there..

"A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode