Hanging Fluval 2.0/3.0/Aquasky ?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hanging Fluval 2.0/3.0/Aquasky ??

Has anyone ever hung this style of light from the ceiling or off brackets on the wall? I'm looking for some ideas as this light wasn't designed for hanging as far an I'm aware...

Thanks,

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fluval 2.0 I run has dimming feature so it set's right on my tank.(can adjust brightness)
T5 bulbs I have run that were too much light energy for low tech, I had to hang these higher to decrease light energy.
Is only reason I hang light's above the tank.
Hang em too high ,and all you see from across the room while seated in a chair,or the couch,is the bulbs shining in your eye's.
Then need to add something to block the lighting from my eye's lest it be all I see when looking at the tank.
Dimming feature should make hanging the lighting mentioned, unnecessary?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Fluval 2.0 I run has dimming feature so it set's right on my tank.(can adjust brightness)
T5 bulbs I have run that were too much light energy for low tech, I had to hang these higher to decrease light energy.
Is only reason I hang light's above the tank.
Hang em too high ,and all you see from across the room while seated in a chair,or the couch,is the bulbs shining in your eye's.
Then need to add something to block the lighting from my eye's lest it be all I see when looking at the tank.
Dimming feature should make hanging the lighting mentioned, unnecessary?
I'm more or less concerned over a nicer light spread, my pet peeve is a light that doesn't actually light the length of the tank. My 36" model only has light across 32" if that, so the corners are too dark for my liking. I have it raised 3" from the water line now and I like it a lot, but I'd rather have it hanging instead of making brackets for it to sit on (currently sitting on brackets).

I hope that clears up my intentions.

My 30g Journal:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I understand.
My Fluval 2.0 is in addition to triple T8 fixture resting on the back half of the tank to get good spread from front to back on 80 gal tank.
I had a 29 gal tank that bulbs for the fixture were only 24 inches long which left three inches on either corner with not much light in already low light application.
I just placed some anubia on some wood in the corner's, and over month's they grew large enough to fill in the shaded area.
Crypt Balansae also did well in the corner's behind the anubia.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Since I raised the light I've noticed the corners are doing better, no need for supplemental light and/or switching to lower demanding plants (in my case).

Just for practical reasons I was hoping someone may have came up with a hanging design for these lights. I'm handy enough that I can do it, but if someone else has a few tips it never hurts to share

My 30g Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode