Garden Hose For DIY Pump 'n Fill System ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Garden Hose For DIY Pump 'n Fill System ?

Is it safe to use a new regular garden hose as an extension to a Python No Spill system for pump 'n filll (to fill with aged water) ? Is there anybody using it ? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You need to get a hose suitable for drinking water. They're white and typically sold with the RV supplies.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bill,

Are these hoses being sold at the RV places cheaper than the Python hoses ?

Really like your setup at your web site. Wonderful tanks you have.

Regards,

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Oh, you're up in the great white north . I bought mine in the RV department at Wal-Mart. Any good hardware store should also carry them. They're not an exclusive RV item, but are most often used in situations where you need a hose to deliver potable water.

And thanks. Glad you liked it.

óBill

|
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ironfin:

First I think you can but the clear hose by the foot to just extend a section of your python if the potable hose does not work. Second you mention 'aged water' in you first post. Could you please describe more? It looks like you might be better off with a sump pump or powerhead as the python is better on faucets.

Moved to Tucson.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

'Great white' ? Not here. Only on the moutain for skiers. It is still plenty green and mild here. We usually see snow couple days a year. We are just north of your Washington states across the border.

Those RV hoses sound like a good substitute for the Python. I will check out the prices in our local Wal-mart first. Thanks for you advice.

I will take a better look at your site again when I have a chance over the holiday. That journal you have there is quite informative.

Regards,
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

BlueRam...

I have a new garbage can in the basement to store water for the tank and I have a 50' Phyton that I use for weekly cleaning. I recenlty acquire a Little Giant pool pump that is strong enough to pump water to the upper floor where the tank is (according to the instruction). I usually have to carry 7 or 8 buckets of water to the tank to refill (yes, good workout). I thought it would be easilier to use the pump and maybe 50' plus 50' extension ro pump water from the garbage can to the tank. That is why I try to find out what type of hoses I need. Bill had suggested the RV hoses, food graded hoses, which I am sure will be safe enough for the fish.

Regards,
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 05:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Some or most normal garden hoses may contain anti-fungal additives to make it last in good condition. Beware of these.

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Really??

Wow... didn't know this... I've been using a $4 Walmart garden hose for years now...

Eheim Pimp Club Member #74
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 07:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
Don't quote me, it's 2nd-hand info. Maybe since it's so cheap it has none of that added?

Plants are gone, but my 33gal and I are back after a long hiatus.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
I would guess that in western BC it's much like it is here in Portland where the Roses are still blooming as are the hardy Fuchsias.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-20-2004, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey guys, the 'Great White North' crack was just a bit of funnin'.

I was stationed up in Tacoma, WA for 3.5 years while in the USAF. I regret that I've only been able to visit Vancouver once (and that was after I got out of the service) when my wife and I drove up from Fremont to go to the '86 World's Fair.

Oh, and not all garden hoses will have preservatives added, but it's hard to tell which ones do so it's just better to stick with hoses that are drinking water safe.

óBill

|
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Rex,

Unfortunaley here in Vancouver area it is still a few degrees colder than Portland but I think we are still pretty lucky with the weather here. No complaint if you like rain. See how easy it is to make fun of ourselves again.

Bill,

You are always welcome to visit us again. Maybe a second honeymoon ?

Thank you for all the info you guys have provided. I will stick to the food grade hose for now when I find them. I think I would not trust the regular garden hose . The vinyle smell form the garden hose is strong enough to kill any living thing.

BigPow,

Your hose might be safe now after running so much water through it for the last severa year. You should not be worried about it. Just do not replace it with a brand new one !

Thanks again to all.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
a year and a half with a green rubber hose here... never even considered that it might not be fish safe... doh! i guess that's one explanation for a few of my mysterious die offs... but its more likely a more blantantly big mistake that i never picked up on that's responsible.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 01:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via MSN to pufferfreak Send a message via Yahoo to pufferfreak
I got my DIY python for 18$. I have the RV water hose, 25ft. I love it!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode