Tank Lid Frame - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 6 Post By CapnBBA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Lid Frame

So I was dealing with a cat(s) who were constantly drinking from my tank and staring at the fish for far too long. I also needed to raise my light and I wanted storage space outside of the cabinet/easily accessible. We use this AWESOME material at work for a variety of purposes due to its versatility. It's a T-slotted framing material with tons of accessories; hinges, brackets, corner pieces, latches, everything. I originally put 1/4" plexi on the sides and double plexi doors on the front but the doors were a pain in the butt so I only left the plexi on one end where the cats were still sticking their paws.

The brackets on either end are used to hold the light 6" above the tank surface, they can slide front to back. I have swapped a few pairs of legs out trying different heights (ends of the t-slot are pre drilled for 1/4" tap, so very easy to tap new pieces). Plywood top is currently up but typically on top of the frame with the hinges shown in last photo, does not look particularly 'nice' but it was a utilitarian goal. It's light, comes off easily when I need to really get wet (I leave it on for water changes).

I only joined the forum recently but I see similar questions pertaining to elevating lights, keeping pets out so I figured I would share if any were interested. I am re-reading this and see it comes off a bit like an advertisement, was not meant to be. Any one else have creative solutions for over your aquariums?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2228.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	844121  

Name:	IMG_2229.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	844129  

Name:	IMG_2230.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	844137  

Name:	IMG_2231.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	844145  

deeda, deeda, NorCalnomad and 3 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode