How to make co2 reactor/difusser out of canister filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Patriot
How to make co2 reactor/difusser out of canister filter?

I found two canister filters next to the trash to be disposed of and both work ok. I don't know what to do with them except for making them into something else. I might use one along side my sunsun and try a convert the other into a reactor/diffuser. Could someone point me to the thread that talks about this subject if it exist? I would like better CO2 diffusion without buying specialized items because of shipping time and price. I live in Japan as part of my military tour so buying off base can be a little hard when unable to describe what I'm looking for.
The on the left is the Eheim Ecco 2236 and the one to the right is a Tetratec ex600. Which is better suited to be converted into a CO2 reactor/diffuser?

Proudly Served in the United States Armed Forces, 2009-2017
SUNSUN PIMP #41
Nikon Club Member #35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I know that you can make a reactor out of PVC piping and fittings(eg. search rex grigg reactor). But in my opinion, it is a waste to use a canister filter just as a reactor.

The idea of a reactor is create more time for co2 to be dissolve before leaving a container. Therefore, answer to your question is that you can try just feeding co2 into the inlet of your canister. If you don't see any visible bubble from the outflow, then you have yourself a reactor.

Forgot to mention: If you feed the co2 straight to your canister, your canister will have a much shorter life.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Since the Eheim exits water from the top (it looks like they both do), you need something in the canister to slow the bubbles down and maybe break them up. I'd suggest putting the media baskets in the Eheim but NOT the blue pad. That way you get surface area but very little resistance to flow. Feed CO2 into the intake in the tank so it has even more time to dissolve before getting to the impeller. Should work great.

Kevin

72g bowfront planted, CO2, 4x - T5HO, Eheim 2213 and 2217, 2 angels, pristella tetras, blue tetras, betta, albino bristlenose pleco, albino cories. Sword, vals, hygros, ludwigias, java moss and fern, anubias

2g Mac-quarium. Clown gravel, fluorescent plastic plants, and 2 guppies.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode