Paranoid Question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paranoid Question

Heya,

Currently I have a Hagen Cylinder/Ladder running in my tank and wanted to make sure there is no chance the tank will siphon back 'up' and into the bottle. I know I can put in a check valve - but I don't have time to do this before I go away for a coupe of days.

The cylinder is placed on top of the tank, in a stable position - there is no way the cylinder will end up below the water level.

My concern is if the mixture runs out, if this has any impact on whether a siphon will start?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
If the mixture runs out completely and entirely stops producing gas, some water will eventually siphon back. Actually, it doesn't back-siphon, it's just the CO2 dissolving in water so it looks like the water "moves" back into the tubing.

But even if that happens, and even if it fills the bottle, and even if a little bit of solution starts to diffuse into the tank, I would think that would happen only after a month or more of starting the mixture, and not be a huge issue unless you let it sit there for several months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
I'd pick up a cheap check valve from walmart, petco, or petsmart for short term use. (actually they can use it long term with diy). Why risk it when you can be safe for about 2 bucks.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 04:37 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
for the 3 dollars it's worth the peace of mind
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Algae Grower

if the cylinder is on top there is no chance of syphoning
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Cheers guys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I use a separator bottle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
If the mixture runs out completely and entirely stops producing gas, some water will eventually siphon back. Actually, it doesn't back-siphon, it's just the CO2 dissolving in water so it looks like the water "moves" back into the tubing.

But even if that happens, and even if it fills the bottle, and even if a little bit of solution starts to diffuse into the tank, I would think that would happen only after a month or more of starting the mixture, and not be a huge issue unless you let it sit there for several months.
The danger is that in some designs what can happen is that the influx of relatively clean aquarium water can restart the yeast/sugar reaction. The CO2 can then cause water to be forced out of the bottle (depending on the way the airline penetrates the cap of the bottle) and theoretically inject yeast/sugar/alcohol into the aquarium. The same effect can happen if your yeast/sugar mix is still warm when you hook it up to the aquarium. Once it all cools off the air in the bottle will contract, sucking water down the hose into the reactor which can then pump its contents into the aquarium by producing CO2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode