I just acquired an Eclipse Corner 5 and decided to remove the stock light and install some 5 Watt LEDs that I had laying around. Unfortunately, I didn't get started taking pics until a ways through the process, but here it is from the point I found my camera
Here's the top of the tank:
I ran the LEDs (mounted to an aluminum panel for heatsinking) under the hood for a while:
and realized that
a) they got too hot and are going to require some forced-air cooling
b) there is a lot of condensation in the top of the tank.
A hood fan should solve both problems, but might cause rapid evaporation, so I am going to try to isolate the airflow section. I cut a piece of 1/8" plywood to fit in the top of the tank, then cut out a slot for the LEDs to shine through and glued a piece of glass down with silicone. It is actually slightly smaller than the top of the tank, because I want it to mount inside the cover so that when I open the cover the light raises with it.
I glued some small pieces of wood down to act as standoffs for the aluminum plate with the LEDs:
And then some more wood pieces for mounting into the lid:
One nice thing about planning to post a DIY thread is realizing how messy my lab is
. After this shot I cleaned up a little, so there's less mess in the rest of the pictures.
I soldered some wires to the LEDs, adding a knot for strain relief:
Then pulled the wires together and twisted them using a drill:
Then soldered the wires to the driver and an old laptop power supply:
Finally a look from the bottom (fish-eye view?):
Now on to the lid and fan. First I drilled some air holes in the side of the lid:
The power supply is 20V and I found that while I can run a 12V computer fan from it, the extra voltage makes it really
noisy. Finally after quite a bit of searching the lab, I uncovered a 24V fan that should be nice and quiet. The airflow isn't too great, but it doesn't take much to make a big difference.
I laid down a bit of silicone to hold in the fan:
Then I double-checked the airflow direction:
and mounted the fan, adding a bit of silicone in the corners to hold things down:
At this point I realized that if the LEDs and fan are both soldered to the power supply it will be hard to take apart for cleaning/repairs/etc, so I started looking for some connector options. I found this for starters:
That's as far as I have gotten so far. I am just waiting for glue to dry, silicone to cure, etc. I will post an update tomorrow.