LED Conversion - Eclipse 5 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
LED Conversion - Eclipse 5

I just acquired an Eclipse Corner 5 and decided to remove the stock light and install some 5 Watt LEDs that I had laying around. Unfortunately, I didn't get started taking pics until a ways through the process, but here it is from the point I found my camera .

Here's the top of the tank:

I ran the LEDs (mounted to an aluminum panel for heatsinking) under the hood for a while:

and realized that
a) they got too hot and are going to require some forced-air cooling
b) there is a lot of condensation in the top of the tank.

A hood fan should solve both problems, but might cause rapid evaporation, so I am going to try to isolate the airflow section. I cut a piece of 1/8" plywood to fit in the top of the tank, then cut out a slot for the LEDs to shine through and glued a piece of glass down with silicone. It is actually slightly smaller than the top of the tank, because I want it to mount inside the cover so that when I open the cover the light raises with it.

I glued some small pieces of wood down to act as standoffs for the aluminum plate with the LEDs:

And then some more wood pieces for mounting into the lid:

One nice thing about planning to post a DIY thread is realizing how messy my lab is . After this shot I cleaned up a little, so there's less mess in the rest of the pictures.

I soldered some wires to the LEDs, adding a knot for strain relief:

Then pulled the wires together and twisted them using a drill:

Then soldered the wires to the driver and an old laptop power supply:

Finally a look from the bottom (fish-eye view?):

Now on to the lid and fan. First I drilled some air holes in the side of the lid:

The power supply is 20V and I found that while I can run a 12V computer fan from it, the extra voltage makes it really noisy. Finally after quite a bit of searching the lab, I uncovered a 24V fan that should be nice and quiet. The airflow isn't too great, but it doesn't take much to make a big difference.

I laid down a bit of silicone to hold in the fan:

Then I double-checked the airflow direction:

and mounted the fan, adding a bit of silicone in the corners to hold things down:

At this point I realized that if the LEDs and fan are both soldered to the power supply it will be hard to take apart for cleaning/repairs/etc, so I started looking for some connector options. I found this for starters:

That's as far as I have gotten so far. I am just waiting for glue to dry, silicone to cure, etc. I will post an update tomorrow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Robotguy; 01-09-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

OK, done for now. I had a small problem, but it was pretty easily fixed.

Here's the light mounted inside the cover. The ziptie on the left is holding the LED driver PCB and wires from flopping around inside the cover:

The plywood just below the LED's was hitting the edge of the filter as the cover was open and closed. I had to cut some out with the Dremel, but it fits now. I will have to see how bad the evaporation is with the fan, and may need to add another piece of plywood to keep the airflow away from the filter.

The power supply plugs in to the connector on the back:

Here it is with the LED's on:

In this shot you can see two of the screws that hold the plywood into the cover each side of the handle in the very front. They aren't too noticeable:

There is a bit of a light leak from the air holes in the sides, but I can also feel air coming out, so it seems to be working. Here you can also see one of the rear screws.

That's it. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with this tank, but my current aquarium budget is $0, so it's probably going to depend on what I can trade for in the S&S, but I am hoping with 15W of LED light in a 5G tank I should be able to do whatever I want. The driver has the option for PWM dimming so if this is too much light, I can always turn it down a bit.

Thanks for looking.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Really well done!

GROW BABY GROW

-
-

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A very good write-up, and a neat LED conversion.

Hoppy
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
Very nice, did you get your CREE LED and the driver locally? Metro Electrics in downtown possibly?

She winks, Let's dance.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
When i was doing some LEDs i used heat sink compound and glued leds with some super glue. It holds, but its not in wet enviroment. How did you fix yours?
Better option would be to use thermal adhesive witch is thermally conductive glue
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
When i was doing some LEDs i used heat sink compound and glued leds with some super glue. It holds, but its not in wet enviroment. How did you fix yours?
Better option would be to use thermal adhesive witch is thermally conductive glue
I used thermal adhesive too, after first having shorts occur between the mounting screws and the star heatsink. The adhesive is easy, quick and very effective. It still allows you to remove the LED, although it is harder than by unscrewing a couple of little screws.

Hoppy
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
Really well done!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
A very good write-up, and a neat LED conversion.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
Very nice, did you get your CREE LED and the driver locally? Metro Electrics in downtown possibly?
I actually got them at DealExtreme.com. Does Metro sell high power LED's? I keep meaning to go there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
I used heat sink compound and flat-head screws, double checking for shorts as I installed each.

After I got some plants in there, I realized I really need to remove the overhead filter and add a few more LEDs in the back. It's really dark back there. I'm thinking it's where all the bad fish are going to hang out

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode