• 2 Post By crazyforaquariums
  • 2 Post By natemcnutty
  • 2 Post By Proramza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
question on DYI CO2

Hi all. I set up my own DYO CO2 with citric acid and Na Bicarb. I purchased an inexpensive connecting kit with a pressure gauge and air flow adjustment valve to connect the two bottles. I then connected the tubing from the sir adjustment valve to a bubble counter and on to my diffuser. It worked wonderfully for several weeks. This last time I mixed up a new batch of citric acid and Na bicarb I could not get the air flow adjustment valve to shut down tight enough to not let the CO2 escape. The CO2 just escaped at a rapid rate until all the pressure displayed on the gauge was gone. I thought maybe it was an incompetent valve and so I purchased another set. However this set is doing the same thing. Any thoughts?
Proramza and Proramza like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Use soapy water or windex on all seals to check for leaks. My bet is on a leak from one of the bottle caps or hoses - they fail often on the cheap kits.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. Do you know of anything else I can use that might be more reliable. The tank and the area I have it in is too small for pressurized CO2. thamks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 11:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforaquariums View Post
Thanks. Do you know of anything else I can use that might be more reliable. The tank and the area I have it in is too small for pressurized CO2. thamks
You could go with a paintball canister setup. If you are already doing 2 liter bottles, it's only an inch or two taller if you go with a 24 oz bottle.

Other than that, I have the D501 DIY CO2 kit, and that has worked really well for me. Have to change out the O rings every 7-8 refills, but that's the only time I ever have a leak.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 04:00 PM
Algae Grower

I bought, probably the same kit as you, and I have found that the control valve is incredibly finicky. I think mine still allows a bubble every 5 or 6 seconds and tight as I can close it every night... but hasn't seemed to bother the fish or anything for over a month so I've kept it. I plan on doing the paintball canister setup eventually, I see it being the better alternative in the long run.

-Zachary-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

45g Planted Community Tank
29g Silver Dollar/Bichir Tank - Soon to be 55g
20long planted
5g Planted Fluval Chi
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proramza View Post
I bought, probably the same kit as you, and I have found that the control valve is incredibly finicky. I think mine still allows a bubble every 5 or 6 seconds and tight as I can close it every night... but hasn't seemed to bother the fish or anything for over a month so I've kept it. I plan on doing the paintball canister setup eventually, I see it being the better alternative in the long run.
If you are manually opening and closing the needle valve to turn it on and off, I'd recommend picking up some of these and using them as the shut off instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00025676Y/

I use them for drip acclimation, but they work well as a shutoff valve, and then you don't have to try to "dial in" (as if you actually can with these...) the needle valve every morning.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
If you are manually opening and closing the needle valve to turn it on and off, I'd recommend picking up some of these and using them as the shut off instead:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00025676Y/

I use them for drip acclimation, but they work well as a shutoff valve, and then you don't have to try to "dial in" (as if you actually can with these...) the needle valve every morning.
You, sir, are an evil bellied genius. I may just do that, Thanks for the tip!
natemcnutty and natemcnutty like this.

-Zachary-

45g Planted Community Tank
29g Silver Dollar/Bichir Tank - Soon to be 55g
20long planted
5g Planted Fluval Chi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode