Newbie to Planted Tanks here - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:36 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie to Planted Tanks here

Hey guys and gals,

As the title says, I am a 'newbie' when it comes to planted tanks but I've been in the hobby for 7-8 years. I've kept mostly African Cichlids so never got a chance to give a planted tank a try until now.

I decided to start out small with a 15 gallon. I also made a DIY CO2 out of a 2L pop bottle as seen everywhere on the internet. My question is about diffusion methods. Currently I have the CO2 outputing into an airstone, and the airstone is positioned right underneath my AC intake. So all the little CO2 bubbles coming from the airstone get sucked up the intake and get 'chopped' up even more. Is this an efficient method of diffusion?

I have read that its not 100% efficient because I will lose some of the CO2 gas to the atmosphere when the AC filter aggitates the surface water. I'm not looking for 100% efficiency here, just want to know if this will work, or if I'm wasting my time. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

When I had DIY CO2 on my 10 gallon I used a bubble ladder, $8-12 and thought it worked pretty well and was also a bubble counter. What you have setup now should work fine. You could also skip the air stone all together and just insert the CO2 tubing into the intake of the filter itself. Good luck
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
You could also skip the air stone all together and just insert the CO2 tubing into the intake of the filter itself. Good luck
This is what I did originally but thought it would help to add an airstone to make the bubbles even smaller before the intake sucked it up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (73/100%)
you should keep it away from the intake... you're losing a lot of the gas in the process. airstone should work fine. i don't think you have enough pressure to use a cheap ceramic diffuser.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Using wooden airstones creates micro bubbles. It works very well for me.

"Aquarists are a brave lot. We mix water and electricity every day."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (27/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradC View Post
You could also skip the air stone all together and just insert the CO2 tubing into the intake of the filter itself. Good luck
Modified/altered a HOB filter (using an inexpensive sponge filter) to drip co2 into a 10 gallon tank. Keeps the co2 in this tank at my desired levels. Not too noisy... if you get right next to the tank, you can hear the gas 'burping' as it hits the filter's impeller.

Attachment 26271

Last edited by wastewater; 01-10-2011 at 01:33 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses!

So it seems like many of you are suggesting a limewood airstone...something like this?

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Aera...2.html?tc=fish

Also, is it better to position it under the 'waterfall' of my filter? I read many people placing it under the intake. Which method will diffuse better?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode