Paintball co2 system help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paintball co2 system help?

Hello there everyone! Just signed up here for a change of pace from Tropical fish forums. I plan on doing a somewhat high tech planted tank with my 20 gallon tall tank. I allready know what lighting and substrate im going to use, but I am still trying to find a cheaper-ish way of putting co2 into my tank. I have recently just heard of using paintball parts to inject co2 into tanks and have read the post about it here on the planted tank forums. I am a bit confused however on what exact parts are needed and wonder if someone could specifically point out exact names of the parts that are needed to make a fully functonal paintball co2 system.

Obviously the main parts needed are the co2 hosing, some sort of regulator with pressure gauge, the actual canister itself, bubble counter?, I would like to know if theres a part that allows you to plug into a timer so the co2 goes on and off with the light (solenoid valve), and also a diffuser (im pretty sure you just find one on ebay etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Hello there everyone! Just signed up here for a change of pace from Tropical fish forums. I plan on doing a somewhat high tech planted tank with my 20 gallon tall tank. I allready know what lighting and substrate im going to use, but I am still trying to find a cheaper-ish way of putting co2 into my tank. I have recently just heard of using paintball parts to inject co2 into tanks and have read the post about it here on the planted tank forums. I am a bit confused however on what exact parts are needed and wonder if someone could specifically point out exact names of the parts that are needed to make a fully functonal paintball co2 system.

Obviously the main parts needed are the co2 hosing, some sort of regulator with pressure gauge, the actual canister itself, bubble counter?, I would like to know if theres a part that allows you to plug into a timer so the co2 goes on and off with the light (solenoid valve), and also a diffuser (im pretty sure you just find one on ebay etc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
If you take a quick peek in the DIY part of the forum, you will find hte thread on the firs page for the DIY paintball system. However if you are wanting something with a solenoid you can go with this http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web

I am using one on my 36 gal with 20 oz. paintball tanks. Works great too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
If you take a quick peek in the DIY part of the forum, you will find hte thread on the firs page for the DIY paintball system. However if you are wanting something with a solenoid you can go with this http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web

Whats the difference from the dual and the single?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveforthis View Post
Whats the difference from the dual and the single?
There is a pressure regulator in the dual, which is preset to 30psi, it has a two gauges, one shows the pressure, one shows the tanks current fill level.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
Quote:

thank you Noahma, if he or she is going to use that regulator i think he/she should not go for paintball tanks, IMO he/she should get 5lb or 10lb tanks (not paintball) and the regulators are normally $87 starting which also have bubble counter on them. i think he /she would be happy if they take that route, otherwise he/she can follow this link https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...diy-setup.html and we will be able to help you there.

the parts cost me to setup paintball co2:

20oz co2 tank $6.50
co2 pipe $1
needle valve $6
on/off ASA $11

total cost around $25
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
thank you Noahma, if he or she is going to use that regulator i think he/she should not go for paintball tanks, IMO he/she should get 5lb or 10lb tanks (not paintball) and the regulators are normally $87 starting which also have bubble counter on them. i think he /she would be happy if they take that route, otherwise he/she can follow this link https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...diy-setup.html and we will be able to help you there.

the parts cost me to setup paintball co2:

20oz co2 tank $6.50
co2 pipe $1
needle valve $6
on/off ASA $11

total cost around $25
I have gone both ways, I have the DIY paintball setup on my 10 gal, and the regulated paintball system on my 36 gal. The price of going with a 5lb cyl. in my area would be another 75.00-150.00 for the tank, and then a good amount to get it filled. The paintball tank was 18.00 for the 20 oz. and the refills are 3.50 each. So it would take me quite a bit of time to equal out the cost of going with the regulator and a 5lb tank.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I have gone both ways, I have the DIY paintball setup on my 10 gal, and the regulated paintball system on my 36 gal. The price of going with a 5lb cyl. in my area would be another 75.00-150.00 for the tank, and then a good amount to get it filled. The paintball tank was 18.00 for the 20 oz. and the refills are 3.50 each. So it would take me quite a bit of time to equal out the cost of going with the regulator and a 5lb tank.
i see, i thought the person might be able to get hold of tank that is already filled for cheaper price, i got 5lb full of co2 at $60 and lasted me 8 months and i just switched it to 10lb just by giving them my 5lb and $15. i guess prices are different everywhere. but our 20oz co2 refill price is the same.

i have heard that your 20oz lasted for 5 good month, is that really true?

anyway i hope this person look at that link and we can start from there, as many people are they who could help.

thanks
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
There is a pressure regulator in the dual, which is preset to 30psi, it has a two gauges, one shows the pressure, one shows the tanks current fill level.
I was thinking about getting the single with a paintball tank. Does the single get the job done?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
i see, i thought the person might be able to get hold of tank that is already filled for cheaper price, i got 5lb full of co2 at $60 and lasted me 8 months and i just switched it to 10lb just by giving them my 5lb and $15. i guess prices are different everywhere. but our 20oz co2 refill price is the same.

i have heard that your 20oz lasted for 5 good month, is that really true?

anyway i hope this person look at that link and we can start from there, as many people are they who could help.

thanks
in my 10 gal it is going strong now after 2 months, just now reaching 800psi, I wont know for sure how long the tank will last on my 36 gal as It is a new setup. Everywhere I was reading for a larger tank I might get a couple months out of the tank. I might in the future switch up to a 5lb tank, but at the moment this is the cheapest and easiest for me to deal with ( and it takes sooo little room in my cramped stand)

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I was thinking about getting the single with a paintball tank. Does the single get the job done?
It should do just fine, it has the same needle valve that my dual has, the main difference is the regulator and the solenoid. You should be able to find a solenoid and add it into the system if you really wanted one.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

either one will get the job done, but in near future if you decide you want more out of your co2 then low pressure gauge is required. co2 low pressure running at 30psi is preferred by many people and the higher pressure you use the less the bubble per second will be required. 15psi running at 6bps is same as 30psi running at 3bps, this is something i have recently learned.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry to sound like an idiot....so the lower the pressure the more bubbles per second correct?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web would this be a bad choice for a 55 gal? Is it worth it to just get the dual?
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Sorry to sound like an idiot....so the lower the pressure the more bubbles per second correct?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web would this be a bad choice for a 55 gal? Is it worth it to just get the dual?
yes, lower the pressure the more BPS will be needed, but i would not worry too much about this on smaller tank, just take your time and start with 1-2BPS on smaller tanks like 20g, i barely push 1BP every 3 sec on my 4g nano tank, i have no idea about what pressure its running at. just start slowly and you can always increase the BPS if your co2 is low, one bad thing about using the cheap stuff as you are looking for is that you cannot turn the co2 off, if you do then you will have to adjust it again over again, some people leave it running 24/7, i think noahma also leaves it on for 24/7. noahma can help you more on this stuff and you can get the regulator which has recommended if you want to turn the co2 off/on while its being more stable.

IMO if you are going to use 20oz or 24oz tank on 50g tank then you will be refilling the tank every month or so or even earlier, but depend on how much you will use, low tech, high tech tank etc.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/4531/product.web choice is your and this will work very well, it got automatic shut off and on solenoid on it, which is the good thing along with the low pressure gauge. so you don't have to worry about turning the co2 on and off, because it will do it for you, just buy some cheap time from home depot or lowes. anyway, but i would not recommend this for bigger tank as mentioned before.
whats your budget? how much are you looking to spend in total.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:

That might be a bit small for a larger tank like a 55g. you can use it, but like happi said you will be refilling the tank quite often. That might be the point at which you switch and get a system for a 5lb tank.

This or something similar plus a 5lb tank would work very well for a 55+ gal tank.
http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/group/11117/product.web

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode