Macquarium! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Macquarium!

A couple of months ago I was taking out the trash and I found this little old Macintosh Classic sitting by the dumpster. This was actually the first computer I had ever used as we had these in elementary school probably right around the time they came out.

Instantly the idea to use it for a nano aquarium came to mind. So I brought it in, gutted it for the better part and cleaned it up a bit and this is what I have.

I think either making my own little tank or getting one custom made should be really easy. There is even an area for the tank to sit on in there if I don't completely gut it. My biggest problem will be making this thing openable from the top as it only opens from the front. On top of it all I am not much of a DIY'er but this thing was a special gift from the aqua gods that said I just have to do it!

I am considering maybe trying to install a sliding drawer system but I don't know if that will be easy or practical. My only other option would be to somehow nicely remove the top area without butchering it and making it so it can come on and off with ease. Another problem I see is the handle area on the top is depressed into the unit and I would like to somehow raise that up to a flat surface. I have no idea how to do this because I have never done anything like but IT WILL BE DONE! lol. Anyone have any advice or ideas for this?

If I cannot do this it will also pose a problem with the lighting. There won't be much room. If I can pull this off I should be able to use roughly the same amount of lighting from 2 of the lights for the Dymax unit.

It will be roughly an 8-9 inch cube. Not sure exactly how much room I will have to work with. I am thinking of using LED's to light it and building an all in one tank unit back wall filtration thingy(i have no idea what these are called) similar to what is in the Dymax IQ3 or the Fluval Spec. I think this will be the easiest and most space efficient. I am also thinking I will have to paint it black so it doesn't look like a computer from the stone ages. Won't look very nice next to my Samsung monitor.

Anyways I just wanted to share that with you all as I am extremely excited about this project and I think it would be the perfect replacement or addition to my current desktop.

I would love to hear comments and suggestions on how I can pull this off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by gBOYsc2; 01-02-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Algae Grower

Cut the bottom of the case, not the top. That way, the drawer could stay stationary and the top could be lifted off. Use 2 or 3 LEDs on each side of where the handle is. With the right lenses, that should work really well. Where the handle is, add a fan because those lights are gonna produce some heat!

If you use a canister filter like the zoo-med and run lily pipes into the tank, you might consider lighting ito from the back which would allow for a larger fan.

Don't paint it! It needs to look like an old Apple with a fish tank in it. Painting it would cheapen your entire effort. It looks awesome just the way it is. Leave it that color and cut as little of the case as you can while still making room for a functional tank inside.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I really like the idea of possibly cutting it near the bottom instead of the top. I think it would have a cleaner nicer effect and would give an ease of cleaning in the event I needed to clean the whole thing out........

but I am definitely painting it black lol. I really don't like the look of the plastic and green plants stand out soo well against dark colors. It is a must in my vision. I am aslo thinking of filling in the little apple symboy and replacing it with a tiny cute shrimp kind of like the log from The Shrimp Farm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode