DIY stand for 10 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY stand for 10 gallon

I was wondering if anyone has built a stand for a 10 gallon tank and would have some recommendations for the frame. I am planning on building one myself but was wondering if 2x4s are what is recommended for a tank this size. To me it seems like overkill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
It is true that 2X4 is often oversized but there are often other reasons for using it. Sometimes the availability of good straight 2X4 at a good price is enough to make it worth the extra weight. I use 2X4 for larger tanks as I find I may want the extra strength. Several times I have jacked the tank and stand up and rolled it away to clear for some project like flooring. For a ten, I'm not doing that!
But for a ten, I would at least look at using something as simple as your choice of plywoods as they are plenty strong for this use. A simple box with small strips in each corner (1X2?) may be a good, simple way to go. But then we have to open up what and how YOU want it built?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I used 3/4" play for my stand and it turned out awesome! Poplar face to hide the exposed plywood edges, and actually a cheap pine top. Mine was designed to look good without a fish tank on it as well, so the design was pretty important. But you could create something similar to an ADA stand. Many people have done those on here.
If you are nifty with tools then you can really turn out with something nice.
Check the link in my signature for my stand if you like
Good luck in your endeavour, take pictures and record your progress. It will help with either yourself or others in the future

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help so far. I am looking for cheap and looks good which doesn't always work. The plan for the tank and stand is to have it in my office under a wall mount TV. The stand would also have a shelf for the cable box. I was planning on just using pine plywood since the cheap office furniture the government gives is particle board with pine laminate on it.

@Jamo33 The stand in your signature was almost exactly what I had pictured for my design other then adding in a shelf under the tank.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well as far as expense goes, you get out what you put in. It would probably be cheaper to build a box and skin it with some thin ply or similar material, rather than build entirely from thick ply.
You can definitely do this on the cheap cheap, I even looked into buying a kitchen cabinet from lowes or HD and simply skinning that.
Or, check out craigslist and find someone's old ratty stand and fix that up to your liking. There are was to keep cost down, just sometimes people don't want to put in the effort.

My only criticism of my own stand, it's too short. I wanted a shelf but stupid build the stand about 6 inches too short and couldn't fanagle all the bits in the cabinet to fit a shelf.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode