Majstors lab:Advance Technique Of Sensing The Spill OR How To Anger Floor Repairers - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Majstors lab:Advance Technique Of Sensing The Spill OR How To Anger Floor Repairers

If you are longer in aquarium hobby you probably had a spillage. I personally had about 10 gallon of water on expensive wooden floor. Luckily, i didn't save on glue, so floor stayed.
Now i have transferred from 2215 Eheim to DIY 500 gph filter so possibility of spillage is rising, that's why this sensor which is in prototype phase (mass production will soon follow .

We need

Water level alarm (6$ on eBay)
some air hose
wires (a bit stronger ones, i used ones from old AT power source)

tool - soldering gun

First, cut off plastic part on the end of water level alarm wire and take off isolation from 3 wires. Solder blue and black wire with one piece of AT power wire. Solder brown wire with another piece of AT power wire (length as needed). Pull AT power wires trough hose and with soldering gun make cuts from both sides. Melt hose and isolation of wires and make moves like you are cutting bread. When you hear metal sound of going over wires that's good. After melting, wires must be naked. And that's about it. Dont blame me for false alarms

Video of test

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Pretty cool. What's the cost?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
I am pretty sure you said it was about $6 for the thing. Not including the things he already had though.

Great idea!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:48 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
What is the advantage of using the water alarm in this setup, compared to the original method (in the pre-built box)?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
What is the advantage of using the water alarm in this setup, compared to the original method (in the pre-built box)?
Without modding you only have 3 points that water have to reach to have alarm and that plastic stick is not really flexible. And if one of the points is in the dry, one of the alarm will sound (cant remember witch low or high), so 2 wires must be connected in any case.
But if you make 1 meter (or more) of cable like described above, you can cover much more area and have much more sensoring points. You can wrap hose around filter, sump, aquarium or any place that have potential leak. I didnt test how long can wires be but i bet can be long enough for our purposes
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lowe's or HD has a water sensor using a 9v battery that senses along the length of the approximately 3ft cable for $25. I think it was by Honeywell. I saw it hanging by sump pumps.

Jim
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I did it, with some modification... Instead of pulling wires trough air hose i just found 2-wire somewhat flat power cables and used it instead. Much simpler...
Since I need 2 sensor cables (top and middle of filter) i made 2 pieces of cables with cuts and on end of them i put PC power connectors for drive/dvds etc. That way i can daisy chain them or unplug them if i need to open filter (since one cable will be on top of filter and other will be below)

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok , here are sensor cables in work. I just siliconed upper cable and tied up lower cable. Cables are tested and working as they should

Now, if i just could get sms when alarm goes off...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
weee, that's a lot of silicon.

Those types of seals can't be considered for long term use. You need mechanical fasteners and sealers like cord grips and o-rings etc...

It's a good thing you have a spill sensor because it will leak

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
weee, that's a lot of silicon.

Those types of seals can't be considered for long term use. You need mechanical fasteners and sealers like cord grips and o-rings etc...

It's a good thing you have a spill sensor because it will leak

Cables and hoses are ok, they have rubber seals but ill have to think something for main cap (it has no rubber seal)
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by majstor76 View Post
Now, if i just could get sms when alarm goes off...
I saw something on hacknmod.com about using a RFID(radio frequency Identication Device?) to send text messages.
You could probably look around on there or on google and find away to get it to do that.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zareth View Post
I saw something on hacknmod.com about using a RFID(radio frequency Identication Device?) to send text messages.
You could probably look around on there or on google and find away to get it to do that.
Thanks , ill check it up
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (87/98%)
100% silicone doesn't work well on plastic, and if the gap is wide, there is not enough pressure to push the silicone aganist two surfaces and form molecule bond.
That is how 100% silicone works on glass

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode