Hanging aquarium ligths? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hanging aquarium ligths?

Hey,

I have the new ZooMed T5 HO and it comes with two cables to hang the light. I don't have the option of hanging it from the ceiling or drilling anything into the wall or stand (My stand is a short dresser).

Has anyone built anything to hang the lights from? I've seem arms that you can hang the light from, and I think that's my only option.

Any help/pics would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui808 View Post
Hey,

I have the new ZooMed T5 HO and it comes with two cables to hang the light. I don't have the option of hanging it from the ceiling or drilling anything into the wall or stand (My stand is a short dresser).

Has anyone built anything to hang the lights from? I've seem arms that you can hang the light from, and I think that's my only option.

Any help/pics would be appreciated,

Thanks!
Some have been using electrical conduit, and bending it to create the arms, then attaching them to the stand. There are then some items you can get from Home Depot to help loop and hang the fixture. I just installed one last night lol it is a good light!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

How would you attach it to the stand? There is a gap between the dresser and the wall, I'm not sure if I can utilize that.

I thought of maybe attaching the arms to a piece of wood and lay the wood behind the tank, but I'm not to sure how to keep it from falling forward

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
How would you attach it to the stand? There is a gap between the dresser and the wall, I'm not sure if I can utilize that.

I thought of maybe attaching the arms to a piece of wood and lay the wood behind the tank, but I'm not to sure how to keep it from falling forward
using conduit hangers that are screwed into the back of the stand / dresser.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:54 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can hang lights from the ceiling with hooks and steel hanging wires as well.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
You can hang lights from the ceiling with hooks and steel hanging wires as well.
I think the reason why he cannot hang the lights from the ceiling is due to rental?

I hung mine from the ceiling, and it worked great! the kit comes with a hanging kit.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
A little spackle would make it look good as new.

Drywall is super easy.

Hanging is a ton easier too.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
A little spackle would make it look good as new.

Drywall is super easy.

Hanging is a ton easier too.
lol yea.... I learned that a little Spackle would work wonders. I spaced small test holes when locating floor joists in the ceiling for mine, and well... four holes later I found one to mount a hook lol

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments. The reason is that I live at home with my parents and my mom doesn't want me drilling the new dresser and dad doesn't want me to put holes in the roof. There's no way to reason with them, haha.

I thought about wedging a block of wood behind the tank so it leans against the wall. I'll figure out a way to drill the arms to the wood and stick it behind the tank. Even though it's top heavy the wood should brace against the wall to keep it from crashing down. Has anyone tried this?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:58 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
If there's a gap underneath the dresser (if it has feet and isn't completely flat-bottomed), you could create something with conduit, pvc, or lumber that looks like a big "E" without the middle line (or a "C", the way it would look on a digital clock or microwave display). Make sense? The bottom horizontal would sit on the floor, and the top horizontal would have the lights hanging from the end of it. There would be two of them, and you'd have to brace them somehow. But it wouldn't have to be screwed into anything.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Kev, I'll probably give that idea a try!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Cut one piece of 3/4 plywood the size of the tank footprint. Cut another piece the size of the back of the tank plus 3/4 inch. Attach the pieces together with screws and glue to form an "L". Paint the edges of the bottom piece black, and the edges and front of the back piece black. Now, sit the tank on the bottom piece, and attach the light hangers to the back of the back piece. Works like a charm - I did that with a 10 gallon tank - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...xperiment.html

Hoppy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a great idea! My only concern would be the the weight of the lights vs the T that you glued to the back of the wood. What type of glue did you use? I'm just worried that since the fixture probably weighs more then the clamp ons that the T might not hold. Unless I can find some pretty short screws and use a thicker wood back piece.

Either way I love the idea
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 01:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
That's a great idea! My only concern would be the the weight of the lights vs the T that you glued to the back of the wood. What type of glue did you use? I'm just worried that since the fixture probably weighs more then the clamp ons that the T might not hold. Unless I can find some pretty short screws and use a thicker wood back piece.

Either way I love the idea
I used ordinary dry wall screws, and yellow "carpenters glue" - Titebond original. Since the tank fits solidly against the back board, and the weight of the tank sits on the bottom board, there isn't much stress on the joint.

Hoppy
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I started looking over the tank and realized that the HOB filter that I am running is in the way of the backboard. If I make the backboard shorter then the length of the tank do you think it will still work?

Also I think I'll have to change the "T" shaped piece so that the top piece is flat and parallel to the bottom of the tank so I can hang the lights over the center of the tank (If that makes sense).

Hopefully the wood will be able to support itself. I wish my tank was empty because removing everything is going to be such a PITA, haha

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode