Aquarium Build Question - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By nsellers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aquarium Build Question

Looking to build or have a custom aquarium made, I'm thinking i want either a 6'x1'x1' or 6'x2'x1' aquarium (LxWxH). With either of these sizes, does anyone know if there's specific bracing i would have to add? This tank would be set up in an apartment so I can't risk it breaking.

Any links or guides to building long custom aquariums would be welcomed for sure.

Thanks in advanced

I have a plan for the tank, I know it seems a weird size.
Eventually I'll start a journal for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 AM
X45
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsellers View Post
Looking to build or have a custom aquarium made, I'm thinking i want either a 6'x1'x1' or 6'x2'x1' aquarium (LxWxH). With either of these sizes, does anyone know if there's specific bracing i would have to add? This tank would be set up in an apartment so I can't risk it breaking.

Any links or guides to building long custom aquariums would be welcomed for sure.

Thanks in advanced

I have a plan for the tank, I know it seems a weird size.
Eventually I'll start a journal for it.
There are websites with calculators for glass thicknesses. Seems like I saw a link on here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

90G in progress.< these guys will be moving into a 130G
225G build in the works.
Nono Cube 8Gallon.
20G
"Twin" 30 longs running in series.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 01:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You're biggest trouble with that is the total pressure on a single pane of glass. Just looking at it from an engineering perspective. The farther apart the "corners" the greater the amount of pressure against the pane of glass. Your trouble won't primarily be the necessary thickness so much as bracing. You really can't have a tank that long without multiple braces in my opinion.
There are a few threads on here about DIY tanks, and the primary thing I've taken from skimming them is that you need very high quality silicone, not something you would get at Home Depot/Lowes most likely.
If you could be liable for thousands of dollars of damage in your apartment, it seems worth it to work with a custom tank building company if there are any local ones. That way if something fails, you can blame their own workmanship. Not that I like to point the finger, but when you're talking about 50+ gallons of water suddenly coming loose in an apartment... better safe than sorry.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by X45 View Post
There are websites with calculators for glass thicknesses. Seems like I saw a link on here somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yeah ive found a few sites for thickness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
You're biggest trouble with that is the total pressure on a single pane of glass. Just looking at it from an engineering perspective. The farther apart the "corners" the greater the amount of pressure against the pane of glass. Your trouble won't primarily be the necessary thickness so much as bracing. You really can't have a tank that long without multiple braces in my opinion.
There are a few threads on here about DIY tanks, and the primary thing I've taken from skimming them is that you need very high quality silicone, not something you would get at Home Depot/Lowes most likely.
If you could be liable for thousands of dollars of damage in your apartment, it seems worth it to work with a custom tank building company if there are any local ones. That way if something fails, you can blame their own workmanship. Not that I like to point the finger, but when you're talking about 50+ gallons of water suddenly coming loose in an apartment... better safe than sorry.
Thats about what i've come to find also, braces would be required but i have noticed that saltwater frag tanks do something similar without any braces. Which i may actually just get a frag tank now that i think about it, i really just want a shallow tank. Found quite a bit of cool scapes that have inspired me with shallow tanks.

If i get someone to make the tank for me ill probably look at glasscages.com which someone recommended to me already, unless someone else has another good recommendation.
Blacktetra and Blacktetra like this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Aquarium Build Question

The site that I used to build my aquarium.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daniil; 02-08-2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added link

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode