Tools too good to be true!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tools too good to be true!!!

Some of us have this problem. We like tools and it is really great to find those that work really well. So this is a headsup for those of us who do things like drill and cut into walls. Like maybe you want to run a drain from the tank out through the wall? Or maybe plumb in some water to the tank?
I've not got hands on one of these yet but I can see all kinds of money and grief saved if it works. Drilling blind and hitting a 220 cable to shut the AC off for a few hours is not a way to make the customer happy!
If it fits your purpose, take a look at this:
https://walabot.com/diy??utm_source=...hoCGRsQAvD_BwE

And how it might work best:
https://www.whatsthedrill.walabot.com/workshop-1

For less than a hundred, this is a no-brainer for me! Stud finders are really lame at times.
Blacktetra and Blacktetra like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Did you end up purchasing this? I am curious if it really works??

Brand new and obsessed!! My axolotls LOVE the new plants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gifted a handful of RCS with a couple inches of Hornwort, Bronze Crypt, and Water Sprite.
RAOK added clump of Java Moss and Subwassertang.
I can't wait to keep adding! I hope to learn as much as I can and do a full planted!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I bought a couple but have not heard any real results yet. I pretty much admit that I no longer do much of the actual work and passed the tools on to two that should need them. One was anxious to try it but less prone to needing it and the one who needs it most considers it to "fancy" so may never learn the tool!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Update?

One has tried it and swears it is the best thing since sliced bread!! The other swears he has not trouble knowing what's in a wall and hasn't got it out yet. I think I may need to get that one back as it will never pay for itself. But if they can avoid even one single case of cutting or drilling into something like a 220 line or a pipe, I can save thousands.
I have personal experience with hitting a 220 and it is not fun, nor cheap, to tear out a wall section to replace/repair it.
I just wish they would USE them. They are never going to work setting in the truck!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 07:25 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Update?

One has tried it and swears it is the best thing since sliced bread!! The other swears he has not trouble knowing what's in a wall and hasn't got it out yet. I think I may need to get that one back as it will never pay for itself. But if they can avoid even one single case of cutting or drilling into something like a 220 line or a pipe, I can save thousands.
I have personal experience with hitting a 220 and it is not fun, nor cheap, to tear out a wall section to replace/repair it.
I just wish they would USE them. They are never going to work setting in the truck!
Once you get yours back just spend the day playing with it even though you don't care what is in your own wall... just so you can let me know

Brand new and obsessed!! My axolotls LOVE the new plants
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gifted a handful of RCS with a couple inches of Hornwort, Bronze Crypt, and Water Sprite.
RAOK added clump of Java Moss and Subwassertang.
I can't wait to keep adding! I hope to learn as much as I can and do a full planted!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh my! time for the update?

Don't even bother! The market if full of wonders and this is one that really does make me wonder. I wonder who lets this stuff get on the market? I wonder why there is not a law about mis- representing things? I wonder why there is nobody interested in actually doing anything other than trashing out the consumer protection agencies?
Oh, yeah, we elected these fools!!
Bottom line? DON'T buy!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 02:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Thanks for the update. I've been wondering about that tool. Looks like your original title was prophetic, "Tools too good to be true!!!"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I have a section of wall that I do know what's there due to being in it several times. Using this tool was as near maddening as I want to get! Very touchy to set up to read more than just a large glow and then terribly easy to let it slip off the wall and inch or so and then have to restart. Seems to read some things as way more than they are like gaps and joints in batt insulation and then other things like coax may look like a 220 cable. To find a stud, it gave me a general glow about three inches wide and suggests drilling a pilot hole to find the center. I can get that close just thumping and guessing of it's only sheetrock! What I wanted to know was things like knowing there is a stud and I want to drill/cut right next to it, so is there a 220 strapped down the side? I guess they want me to just drill and find out???
Sending them back and canceling the rest of the order!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Algae Grower

While looking at videos about thermostats, I see this home improvement tool for DIY people that looks inside walls and works with your smartphone(Walabots). Finds pipes and wires and studs. Looks pretty cool for a hundred bucks. Anybody here have one?

Last edited by JonWalter; 05-01-2018 at 06:55 AM. Reason: correct spelling
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 03:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonWalter View Post
While looking at videos about thermostats, I see this home improvement tool for DIY people that looks inside walls and works with your smartphone([Walabots). Finds pipes and wires and studs. Looks pretty cool for a hundred bucks. Anybody here have one?
I seem to recall someone saying they had one in this thread. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...good-true.html
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 AM
Algae Grower

Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode