DIY co2 q's - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY co2 q's

Im going to use diy co2 dor my 20 gallon and have a few q's

It has 108 watts of lights but i can remove one bulb to make it 72 if this is too high? how many and what size bottles shall i use 2 x 2 litre?

Ive read rex griggs site buts it doesnt seem to be loading for me at the moment, how exactly do you connect the airline to the fermentation bottles?

Also on rex griggs site it has a check valve for each bottle, is there any reason why you just cant use a single checkvalve higher up the tubing just before the airline enters the tank?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 06:36 PM

Seeing I'm an expert with my first diy co2 for a 2 gal just finished last night... (Ok - I'm no expert, but I have a 20 gal I'll be doing this with in a
few weeks.)

I was going to go with just 1 bottle, but now I think I'll use two and stagger the start day of the second tank a week and a half later to avoid an initial `blast` of co2.

108 watts! Thats alot unless you want to boil fish! Yea - go with the 72.

Theres a good, real simple article on this site - but all you do is drill a
hole in the cap of the bottle (not too big) put the tubing in the hole about
a half inch and use silicon sealant on both inside and out to seal it up good.

Checkvalve I see no reason why you couldn't use just one - but I'd get some other opinions - heh. Good luck.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 08:25 PM

i am just runing a 2l bottle on my 29 gallon and every day my plants pearle heavly near 12:00 and 3:00 my lfs but i also have 160 watts of light good luck
bulding it happy plant growing [aB]

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:01 PM

aquarium boy - you doing 2 cups sugar and 1/4 tsp of yeast? How long does your setup go before needing a refill?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:12 PM

a week and a half maby longer but i just change it any way
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

I read that silicone doesnt attach well to the bottle caps so i was unsure.

How long does it take to start producing co2 after adding the mixture?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 10:00 PM

Silcone worked fine for me - just make sure the parts are clean and dry.
Honestly - if there was a weakness in the system, I'd want it right there. If the tube or stone get clogged, I'd want it bursting that seam rather than the bottle. (I'm keeping the bottle wrapped in 4 plastic grocery bags for a while - just in case.)

Mine was pushing bubbles out the test water after a couple hours. I'm guessing it'll be less than two days before its all co2, and not just forcing out the oxygen that was in there.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2004, 11:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Silicone doesn't bond well to the plastic IME.

Anyway, I feel silicone is redundant. I just drilled a hole smaller then the diameter of the tubing and pulled it through. You should have a perfectly air tight seal this way.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 04:05 AM

I believe Rex recommends an 11/64" drill bit. I was paranoid about the seal of the tube going in to the cap, and didn't feel that the Silicone would stick well to a plastic cap (try it yourself... let the silicone dry, and it just peels off). I went overboard and got 1/8" bayonet fittings (see picture), but it's probably simpler to just drill a small hole and squeeze the tube in there.

My KH out of the tap is 8 or 9, and I never got the pH in my 20 Long to go below 7.8, most of the time it was 8 or higher, but I used the smaller bottles you see in the picture. Maybe two 2 half-gallons might do the trick. Right now, I'm experimenting with fancy winemaker's yeast from here . Yeast CO2 works OK for me on a 10 gallon, but I haven't had any success on a 20.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
a 11/64th hole is water/air tight on anything involving a 3/16(or larger if you could it it) airline
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

i used a 7/32" hole on my reactor to fit my 1/4" tubing through. i believe the rule of thumb is to use a drill bit 2 sizes smaller than (which usually corresponds to 1/32") the outside diameter of the tubing.

at first i tried a 13/64" bit but there was no way the tubing would go through.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys

Im going to try using a smaler hole and then silicone, if it doesnt work so ill have to think of somethign else.

Here in the uk we have drill bits in mm, does anyone know what 11/64 " is in mm? because the shops dont sell the drill bits in inches anymore.

Thanks
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
4.3 mm. But the best thing to do is take a piece of the tubing and your drill bits. You want a bit that's about two sizes smaller than the tubing.

Jart. Every piece and type of standard airline tubing I have ever used I have been able to fit though a 11/64th" hole. You have to cut the tubing at an angle and use some spit as lube but it can be done.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2004, 12:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

thanks rex for your input. the tubing i am using is the black stuff that robert sells at aquabotanic; man it's rigid. next time i'll try more elbow grease.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode