CO2 through RUGF ???? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CO2 through RUGF ????

Hi all.... I am thinking about diving into the world of CO2. I was thinking that it would be cool to inject it through my RUGF. I started messing with it tonight and think it looks cool. The CO2 builds up in the UG pannel untill it finally burst through. My only concern is that the CO2 may hurt the bacteria in the plate. The one good part as you can see in the video is that the bubbles seem to stay at the back of the tank where the media is deeper, and where the plants are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oruN0KfrDrw

For the test I was just ocasionally puffing small amounts air through the tube, I do not have a CO2 source yet.

Any toughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
That would probably actually work really good.... your uplift tubes (downdrafts in your case) would act like little co2 reactors....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I think somebody did a CO2 undergravel too.. Wasser maybe? Not sure how that project turned out.. How many bubbles per second is that? It doesn't look like an efficient CO2 injection..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
hoppy did it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SunSun Pimp #7
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Looks like you're wasting a bunch of co2....
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Like I said I do not have a CO2 system yet.... I was lightly blowing through the tube just to see how it would work

I see all kinds of DIY CO2 yeast and sugar systems on you tube and even on here. I am a total noob at this..... are these systems worth while or shoud I go with the paintball (I happen to have a few of those tanks already) system.

Thanks all for the input!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I ran my tank with a RFUG, with the inlet water to it coming from my external reactor. My thought was it would introduce CO2 rich water right under all of the plants, thus greatly reducing the problems involved in trying to get CO2 down to all of the plants. I was hoping that my algae problems would drop down considerably as a result.

The RFUG worked great for polishing the water, giving me the clearest, most invisible water I have ever had in an aquarium. And, there was no evidence of any problem getting CO2 into the tank - the drop checker was reliably green day after day, with overgrown or freshly pruned plants. But, my algae problems didn't seem to be improved. Shortly after that I finally gave in and agreed that the secret to avoiding algae was to use lower light intensity.

I now have a RFUG in a 65 gallon riparium, working very well for keeping the water clean, but I no longer use CO2.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode