BIG external DIY filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
BIG external DIY filter

Well, finally is filter over and tested and its working on my 110g.
It consist of 25l (6 gal) plastic barrel, 2000 l/h (500gph) Atman powerhead, 19/3 (about 3/4 inch) hoses and plastic input/output U pipes.
First design had three major flaws:

-barrel was deforming due to sucking pressure of pump
-hoses were too soft so sometimes they were stopping flow due to kinking (and causing spillage)
-both output/input hoses were entering on top of barrel which was problem when barrel has been filling and closing

It took lots of time to solve problems but i managed
-deforming was solved with strong chrome net put inside barrel which doesn allow deforming
-new hoses were found. Clear, 3 mm thick heavy duty 19 mm hoses
- input connector for entering water was moved to bottom of barrel so theres no hose from top to bottom like in previous design

For connectors on barrel i used connectors for two garden hoses with rubber rings for seals. Glue and silicone were also used

Filter is filled as follows (from bottom to top):

-about 10 cm of empty space for biggest junk to settle
-plastic firm net on top of few plastic cones
-pieces of electrical hoses for cables
-coarse sponge
-fine sponge
-floss

After moving input connector from top to bottom i had a hole extra on top so i just put valve on it (used in toiletes, generally). Then i just screwd connector for hose on it and ,dont know yet, but i think ill use it for WC.

For security reasons i put barrel in bag for possible leaks and i have ordered water sensors which will signal leak.

Input pipe in aquarium was surface skimmer and with some T and L pipes is connected to Boyu co2 diffuser. Input pipe in not yet connected to U pipe, im thinking about how to do it..

Power consuption is mesured 19W which is only 4W bigger that my eheim 2215. I didn have measured realistic water output, ill do that on first WC, but my 2215 had about 300-400 l/h. For this i expect at least double that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Sweet! How's the water clarity? Does it take long to clear up debris if you "swirl" it into the water column, compared to the Eheim you were using?
Are the two courses of sponge and floss the only media you are using for it?
How the noise level? Is the pump sitting on the bottom of the pail, or suspended inside?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn View Post
Sweet! How's the water clarity? Does it take long to clear up debris if you "swirl" it into the water column, compared to the Eheim you were using?
Filter is operational just an hour or two so water is still very dirty since 6 months was eheim doing filtering (that eheim was leftover from smaller aquarium). I have also 5000 l/h stream pump under filter intake for some extra circulation. It will take some time to see is the filter effective. But, not really expecting polishing efect.
Problem is that i have to have lots of circulation because of co2 but with lots of circulation you have more junk in column.

Quote:
Are the two courses of sponge and floss the only media you are using for it?
Yes, and a pieces of electrical hoses on bottom (thats for biggest junk). If i find some cheap media ill upgrade next time (some cheramics would be good or real aquaristic sponge)

Quote:
How the noise level? Is the pump sitting on the bottom of the pail, or suspended inside?
Nose is much bigger than 2215 of course. I didn have filters of this capacity to compare to comercial solutions. Filter was too big to fit in cabinet so i put it behind aquarium, putting filter in cabinet would lower noise. Maybe ill do some audio isolation.
Pump is inside of pail, suspended on top with hose connectors like this

Half of it goes inside of pail and half is out of it

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ok , i was doing some reconstruction of connectors so i took some pictures

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Really impressive work
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I made a video of reconstructed filter in testing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7h4GfF-w8g

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode