Fan in canopy? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Fan in canopy?

i've read through a few threads that have to do with using the cpt fans, and that is the way i want to go. the one problem i'm facing is that my canopy is only 7" total height, minus about 3" from the molding and minus another 2 inches where the canopy overlaps the tank to cover the trim. so that leaves me with 2 inches! is it even worth putting such small fans? This tank will eventually have crs and i need the temp to remain cool, and our summers here are unbearable and i know my tanks get into the mid 80's. So, the fan is a necessity. What else are my options? Is putting a fan in the back of the canopy an option? it would literally be facing a wall which i think would be pointless. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thank you very much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The back would be fine.... unless the wall butts up against the canopy.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I have one towards the back and the circulation certainly helps.

My 65g jungle October rain

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The back would be fine.... unless the wall butts up against the canopy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
I have one towards the back and the circulation certainly helps.
there would be roughly 5" from the back of the canopy to the wall. Also, i plan on buying 2, is there a specific position/placement they should be? Like, should one be an intake and another an exhaust, or should both be facing away from the tank? should they be on ends? or in the middle? any help is appreciated.

thank you both

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You need some way for air to get into the canopy, so the fan can blow it out. That can be a big opening at the back of the tank, an area on the top with lots of drilled holes in it, room for air to get under the canopy, between it and the tank, or one fan blowing in and one blowing out, but that latter way only works if the fans are widely separated.

Hoppy
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You need some way for air to get into the canopy, so the fan can blow it out. That can be a big opening at the back of the tank, an area on the top with lots of drilled holes in it, room for air to get under the canopy, between it and the tank, or one fan blowing in and one blowing out, but that latter way only works if the fans are widely separated.
do you know of any diy way to put the fans in the back of the canopy but at an angle so that i can put them both at opposite ends one intake, one exhaust? i just can't think of how i would do that. thanks for the suggestions.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 AM
Children Boogie

2 fans, one blowing in, one blowing out. Allz you need.

A picture/drawing of your canopy might help make sense.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i only have this crappy phone pic. the canopy is sitting right on top of the stand. it is still a work in progress. but as you can see the molding takes up most of my space and there is the overlap where the canopy will cover the trim. So, the back seems to be the only option here. Keep in mind that this will be an open top canopy with suspended lights.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-sea...=40mm+case+fan You could mount 4 of these in the back of the canopy if you wanted to, 2 blowing in, 2 blowing out. You do need a 12 VDC power source for them but those are very cheap.

When you said this will be an open top canopy, did you mean there will be no top on the canopy? If so, you don't need fans.

Hoppy
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
if its going to be an open top canopy just put a pedestal fan in the room pointing at in on the really hot days then you dont need to worry about fitting fans into that canopy as it seems there is not a lot of room

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 03:57 AM
Children Boogie

2" fan
http://www.everbuying.com/Intel-P3-2...n-p-21409.html
Attached Images

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
http://www.cyberguys.com/product-sea...=40mm+case+fan You could mount 4 of these in the back of the canopy if you wanted to, 2 blowing in, 2 blowing out. You do need a 12 VDC power source for them but those are very cheap.

When you said this will be an open top canopy, did you mean there will be no top on the canopy? If so, you don't need fans.
indeed, it will be an open top. Even with having the open top i think it will get really hot, our house is just unbearably hot during the summer and i'd hate to take apart the canopy at that point and have to cut/fit/paint at that point. i remember linking to the place to get the power source from another thread and now i can't find it for the life of me. do you happen to know where i can get just the power wire to power the fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultBoy View Post
if its going to be an open top canopy just put a pedestal fan in the room pointing at in on the really hot days then you dont need to worry about fitting fans into that canopy as it seems there is not a lot of room
If worse comes to worse then that will have to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
that is one awesome rendering of my canopy. dead on! So you think there would be no need to point the fans at an angle so that the intake bounces of the front wall towards the exhaust fan? i'm not sure how i'd do that but i'm just tossing some ideas out there.

FILSTAR XP3 PIMP #166
EHEIM 2213 PIMP #441

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Children Boogie

If it's open top then you won't need fans. Heat rises so it's create a little micro-climate of cool air rushing in. Maybe, just plain holes in the back.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Heat rises, but a fan can disperse/remove dramatically more heat and is worth considering. In designing venting, the positioning isn't as important as the simple concept that for every cubic inch of air the you want to move out, you need to allow the exact same amount of air in, i.e. the potential amount of air moved will equal whichever is lower - the net unobstructed vent intake and net unobstructed exhaust.

If you have an open top, then you presumably have plenty of unobstructed vent intake so all you need is something to push the air. Relying on the 'heat rising' effect will probably be disappointing, but a small fan to simply push the air off to the side would make a huge difference.

"The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods." Socrates

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode