going to be ordering XP-G Outdoors. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
going to be ordering XP-G Outdoors.

Found a place that has a reel of XP-G Outdoor that was already started so they agreed to individually at $6.81/ea.

Before I place the order, if someone could give a quite run down list of essentials for maiking an LED light, not counting the tools:
1) LEDs
2) Heatsinks,
3) ?
4) ?

I was thinking about ordering 10-12 XP-G Outdoors for a 9 gallon ADA tank. Should get any royal blues, cool whites?

Any advise is greatly apreciated,
Jenya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The minimum you need is a constant current driver, such as http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42906 and a heatsink, which can be a section or sections of aluminum channel, plus some thermal adhesive to attach the LEDs to the heatsink. If you plan to drive the LEDs at 750 mA or more, you will need a real heatsink, with fins on the back, and possibly a cooling fan.

Hoppy
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hoppy,

Thank you for the info.
How would I know how many LEDs that driver is capable of driving? Is it based on the listed power of the driver?

The driver's spec says that its output current is 670ma. I wasn't planning to run the XP-Gs that hot and was thinking of running them at the recommended 350ma. Is that not possible with this driver?

Btw, I assume this isn't a dimmable driver, right? Are dimmable drivers have a range for the current specification and some kind of potentiometer built in?

Roughly how big of a heatsink do I need for an individual LED? 30mm? 20mm?

Is it possible to solder an SMD chip with a regular solder? Most, if not all, DIY projects seem to use Crees that are already mounted on small cross boards. I doubt I'd be able to buy White Outdoors that is on the cross board.

Jenya

Last edited by Jenya; 12-11-2010 at 02:55 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Unless you have some experience with LED soldering, and a steady hand, don't even consider buying any LEDs that are not mounted on "stars", which are actually heatsinks, with solder pads on them. Even those are very small - just the LED alone is extremely tiny for doing any soldering on, and the margin for error is very small too.

You can buy those constant current drivers for 350 mA if that's what you want to use. They all put out a specific maximum voltage. The number of LEDs they will drive in a series circuit is that maximum divided by the voltage drop of the LED at the current it will be driven at. If you want to drive at 350 mA, you can also use two parallel series strings, so that each string runs at half of 700 mA - a constant 700 mA driver. There are advantages and disadvantages to doing that.

Deal Extreme sells mostly star mounted LEDs, so look there for the specific LED you want to use. Other sites do that also.

If you want a dimmable light, you can't easily use a constant current driver. There are dimmable ones too, but they are more expensive, and take more knowledge to hook up. You don't need a dimmable aquarium light - virtually no one uses dimmable lights on their tanks.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenya View Post
Found a place that has a reel of XP-G Outdoor that was already started so they agreed to individually at $6.81/ea.
Buying unmounted XP-G LEDs is a big no-no. They are designed for reflow soldering (almost impossible to DIY).

BTW I plan to order XP-G LEDs Outdoor white already mounted on a strip, so no soldering required to use them! PM me if you want to join in.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PM was sent this morning. Did you recveive it? I am very interested in joining in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode