Drilling tank help? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Drilling tank help?

Was hoping to get some advice from other people who have drilled tanks. I recently bought these bulkheads:
http://www.aquacave.com/075-bulkheads-sch-80-1269.html
and purchased the recommended drill bit for these bulkheads.

I test drilled two holes on an old junk 10G tank, heres the issue the bulkhead does not fit through the hole. It just barely fits but the threads will not go through and I do not want to force it because I dont want to damage the threads or crack the glass. So I'm just wondering if anyone one else has experienced a tight fit like this and if they had to sand the hole to widen it a bit to make the bulkhead fit? I'm assuming that is what I will have to do but was just looking for others experiences?

Thanks
~Graham

SunSun #16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks,
~Graham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
a 1 5/8" bit should fit them. Sounds like maybe you have a 1 1/2 inch bit.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thats what I ordered was a 1-5/8 (40mm). I figured they would just slip right in but sanding might be in order.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
1 5/8 inches is 41 to 42 mm, not 40. I would look for a 42 mm bit.

Hoppy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
yup... 1 5/8 is 41.275 mm... A 41 mm or 42 mm hole is required. The Holes are a litter "sloppy" in my experience, but 42 is prob your best bet.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hmmmm....well isn't that a joke. The site even recommends using a 40mm a little farther down on the page where you buy the bulkheads. Bit of a pain, maybe a complaint will get me a free one shipped.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Glass-holes.com

"[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect." -original author unknown-

125g marine reef tank, 6 gallon fluval edge minimalist aquascape (in progress), 1 gallon aqueon evo 2 betta tank.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I checked them out in the past, they don't carry the size I need. Anywho already re-ordered one from China for $9.00 shipped.

SunSun #16

Thanks,
~Graham
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The exact thing happened to me as well. I was pretty mad at first, but by spending a few more minutes carefully massaging the hole with the bit, the bulkhead fit in easily.
If you do that, be very careful if you are trying to lean the drill off axis. If you do it too much and it grabs, you can chip the glass easily. It is safer to push the diamond part against the hole. Go slow and keep it wet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode