LED wireing? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LED wireing?

Can someone point me in the direction of what I need to read to understand how to wire LEDs. I'm pretty trechy when i need to be and tend to learn through trial and error. I just do not wnat to do that with $5/ cree led lol. I have a 30 gallon tank that is 30"X16". I figure 8-12 3W cree LEDs should light it sufficently. I just do not knwo how to wire them up properly?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Algae Grower

Do you have experience with soldering at all?
For my 15G tank I used 15 Cree @ 1W - that was more than enough. I would recommend running the leds at 1W to keep them cool and happy.

This is a nice video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctVlUwQnLmg
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

non at all. but everyone has to start somewhere rite

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

am i even close with this diagram?

The LED's are Cree Xr-e 3.3-3.7V. @ 350 mA LED=1W
@ 700 mA LED=3W

power supply is 120V in 12V out

Reg dimmer switch

Connected to a 2.7-4.5 V driver

Wired in series.

Let the critisim begin. help me learn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led project.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	25617  

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

This is too complicated. I would recommend a Meanwell LED driver - 120V in, 350 or 750mA out. LPC-20-700
http://www.meanwell.com/search/lpc-20/default.htm

Or a Philips Xitanium: http://www.ledsupply.com/xi-led120a0700c24f.php

LEDs - better use Cree XP-G, their output is 30-40% higher than Cree XR-E.

Also, a temperature regulated soldering iron is a good tool for soldering expensive stuff.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Use silver based electric solder with LEDs instead of lead based solder. Use a small wattage soldering pencil, like a 15 watt one, so the chances of overheating the LED are minimized.

A dimmer is only useful if you like playing with a dawn to dusk effect, but has no value at all as far as plant growth goes. Much better, in my opinion, is a two position switch allowing you to choose a couple of currents, like 350 and 700 mA. Then you have a much better chance of getting a reasonable PAR for the plants.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.42906 is a nicely priced driver, and that site has others. Before deciding on which LED to use, do some math - if it is cheaper to use 16 - 1 watt LEDs than 6 high power LEDs, do so. The more LEDs you use, the more uniformly the tank will be lighted. Don't use optics unless that is the economical way to get the light spread you need, and it will very rarely be that.

Design the light so that it should give you more light than you want - you can always raise it a bit to lower the intensity, but trying to drive the LEDs to a higher current to get more light can lead to short LED life.

Better to use other than the latest and greatest stuff if the total cost is a concern to you. If you stick to 350 mA or close to that, you don't need to spend a bundle on a massive heatsink. Just a simple 1/8" thick aluminum plate, or an aluminum channel will work fine, at a much cheaper price.

Hoppy
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

seeing as led's are so new to the planted take market and theres not much info on them ive just been going off what I have read.

Hoppy when you say use 1W instead of the 3W, can i use any kind of LED or are certain ones better then the others? i know on ebay you can pick up liek 100 packs of led's for like $10. I just don't knwo if these are ok for plants? i see evryone useing cree, so i just figured they work best?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 04:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I found some 1 watt LEDs on Ebay, with no manufacturer given. They worked well enough to be useful for a planted tank. And, Cree XR-E, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2394 work well for a planted tank, at a reasonable price in quantity. You can spend more for LEDs with a higher output, but I'm not sure that is a better deal. Generally the 100 for $10 LEDs are 5 mm ones, without enough light output to be useful. I haven't done much searching lately to see if there are other good possibilities at an economical price.

Hoppy
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidekick101 View Post
i know on ebay you can pick up liek 100 packs of led's for like $10. I just don't knwo if these are ok for plants?
I would recommend using reputable manufacturers, like Cree, Osram, Seoul. Also, it is better to buy from a source which lists the color temperature. When buying 10+ LEDs it is worth checking for bulk prices, for example I bought 10 XP-G at a price lower than XR-E.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What is a good mm range to look for?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 PM
Algae Grower

This site is very useful for basic info, good luck

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Lee

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode