DIY reactor is not working anymore - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY reactor is not working anymore

Hey,
I made my DIY co2 reactor this weekend.

It started to make big bubbles after an hour. Big like a fart in the tub!

I though it was a problem with my check valve, so I unplugged it check it out and replugged it back.
I dont have any bubble since. You know why or how I can start it back?

My diffuser and bubble counter are stock

thx!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
it takes awhile for the pressure to build back up. how long has it been since you disconnected/reconnected the check valve?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Which diffuser are you using? Is it glass/ceramic? They often have trouble with diy co2.

You sure you put the check valve back in facing the right direction??

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My diffuser is that one

Fluval brand like my bubble counter.

the check valve in the proper direction and I plugged everything back 24 hours ago.

If the process cannot be stopped by opening the thing, I think I may created a leak somewhere...

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so I added a bit more yeast and its reacting for 12 hours now.

But it still do bubbles big like pingpong balls. Somebody has a clue how to avoid this?

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Algae Grower

Check your KH (carbonate hardness) level. Often when co2 stops diffusing properly it is because the KH has fallen too low and it is being diffused out of the water too quickly. (lack of a buffering agent)

For you tank size and the amount of plants you have, you should be keeping the KH at a level of 8-10 degrees (12 max) and the pH should be about 6.7-7.0. I also see that you are running a bubble wand in the background. This flat-out defeats the purpose of injecting co2. Your plants will produce enough o2 to sustain fish and there is really no need for the bubbler.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel4hire View Post
Check your KH (carbonate hardness) level. Often when co2 stops diffusing properly it is because the KH has fallen too low and it is being diffused out of the water too quickly. (lack of a buffering agent)

For you tank size and the amount of plants you have, you should be keeping the KH at a level of 8-10 degrees (12 max) and the pH should be about 6.7-7.0. I also see that you are running a bubble wand in the background. This flat-out defeats the purpose of injecting co2. Your plants will produce enough o2 to sustain fish and there is really no need for the bubbler.
Please don't take this as rude... but can you give me anything that backs up this entire argument?

I say this because kh in the tank has absolutely no effect over the production of co2 in the diy co2. Further, kh is directly tied to pH and it is a waste of time to even mess with pH. On top of it, if you test the pH in a diy bottle(not the tank) you will find it is very low, due to the production of co2.

What kind of diffuser is that? I would try something like a limewood airstone or the like. A chopstick shoved in the airline does well too.

That being said, you might be disappointed by the effects of diy co2 on a tank your size?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by over_stocked View Post

What kind of diffuser is that? I would try something like a limewood airstone or the like. A chopstick shoved in the airline does well too.

That being said, you might be disappointed by the effects of diy co2 on a tank your size?
My diffuser is that one.
http://www.completeaquatics.co.uk/st...-Diffuser-20g/

I can do a "Y" connection to 2 airstone undergravel of my plants if that can be better.

My goal is just to give a little boost to my plants. My plants are not dying which is a great deal for me. I would love to make them grow a bit faster with a DIY setup.

My tank is a 55g with "easy" plants in it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode