The Planted Tank Forum banner

My Sweet Streetside Find

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  rountreesj 
#1 ·
I'm cruising around town today and wouldn't you know it, I spot a pristine looking 20 gallon long on someone's sidewalk. The only issue that immediately jumped out at me was the reason why it had been abandoned in the first place. The rim was partially melted and came right off, but besides that no other damage. So, I'm wondering what are my options for a DIY approach to getting a lid or hood over this now rimless tank?

#8 ·
lol

A rimless setup would be great. Just test it like Mike metioned. :proud:

#9 ·
*A Bit of an update*

I had only eyeballed the size of this tank as being a 20 gallon long. Well, once I took a measuring tape to it the dimensions came back 36X13X14 (not exact due to its rimless condition). Correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's closer to a 30 gallon tank. Not bad!

In addition, I noticed a sticker underneath the tank from "classcages.com," so as it turns out this was a relatively new tank before someone just dumped it on the street.

#11 ·
But I think "glasscages.com" is relatively new. Nice find, but if it is a 30 gallon tank I'd be worried about going rimless. You could contact glasscages and see if they'd sell you just the rim for it.

#14 ·
Thanks for the input everyone!

Based on their website my mystery sized tank is a 27 long. I also noticed there's a $15 minimum on all orders and shipping is an additional $15. Honestly, that's more cash than I'm willing to spend on a rectangular piece of plastic.

I figure the DIY approach will ultimately create cool results, so I'm going to tinker with some ideas. I'll probably just build a simple wood frame that can hold a custom cut pexiglass lid. As far as lighting is concerned, it's a bit of a toss up at the moment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.