possible major co2 issue and tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
possible major co2 issue and tank

well refilled my o2 again 15 minutes later tanks dirty i look at it u cant even see whats in it all cloudy barely see they look like they gasping for air they looked stressed.

my co2 system im beginning to hate is:
hagens complete system i make my own co2

this happend twice now this time its bad bad.
only different thing is i am using same brand yeast but instant yeast i have to literally get the co2 hooked up within3 minutes or i have a mess in kitchen. this time i added a little more yeast and bakin soda. i usualy do 1tsp yeast 1/2 t.s. b.s. this time i used 1 1.5 yeast and 1tsp b.s.

can anyone please help me out here on fixing this issue or if anyone else had this problem or if theres something i can buy to regulate thee co2 or something without having to buy all th efany setups running off tanks and all that would appreciate help im doing ater change now befor fish die and for some reason my plants look greener then ever since this cloudyness but could be in my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
Use bigger bottle, less mixture, use a checkvalve. Your mixture is off if it rises in 3 minutes. Fermentation of the yeast solution mixture should be slow, slow is the key. The slower it produces, the long it last. Something is obviously wrong if your mixture is going into the tank causing it to cloudy up the entire tank which results in fish gasping.

She winks, Let's dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

just did a water change was kind of having a panic attack never seen it befor and only thought about my $15 fish i had for a year all dying.

results:
cloudy cloudy tank.
my setup again is nutrafin system i make yeast with fleishmann's i usually use fast acting this time they didnt have it so i got instant. both times i used it water got cloudy.

sugar to first line
then 1 tsp of baking soday filled to line with water
then added 1 and a half tsp yeast. was doing good 15 minutes later rapid rapid bubbles then cloudyy water instant out of no were.

my question is to peopel who know of about this is my setup just a real pain in the ass or do i not having the proper setup am i missing parts? all im using is there canister and bubble counter it came with. befor i used the new yeast when i used it i never had problem with 1 tsp yeast. if i need additional parts for safety and to prevent this what are they i dont want to harm my tank, fish or my house. thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so wait is using the soda bottle better? that trick? or could i get away with using what i got now and just buy a few more parts. i just want best setup i can get without going over board and buying fancy equipment. liek some peopel i know how they have big scuba tanks setup to all kind of gauges and valves and regs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

We'll I have some experiences as with DIY co2 bottle system with yeast and sugar plus warm water. I believed I've seen the Hagen kit before and the bottle is quite small. Most DIY people using yeast and sugar and warm water use 2L Soda bottles, some use a few of these bottles together to produce more co2 for their bigger size tanks.

The part with your water being cloudy, could be a mixture to water ratio that over bubbled and went into your aquarium. If your fish are gasping within minutes of it setting up, the solution somehow manage to raise up through the tubing and into your tank. This happened to me once so I know.

Search some DIY Co2 system on here, there's plently of them listed and people uses different type of sugar also, brown sugar seem to last longer. And different type of yeast bought also last longer too.

Not my photo but here's a setup.

Back in the days, I had myself one of these system. It's very similar to yours. Small bottle consider to a 2L soda bottle, co2 mixture given inside bottles. Exception, mines comes with a small power head. I still today use that power head, but I junk the rest of the bottles and everything else. I no longer use any form of yeast and sugar mixture anymore. But I recalled having once, having the mixture solution shoot through the tubing into the power head and clouded my entire tank up also. I couldn't remember if it killed off any fish. Back in the days, I had hundreds of different type of fish along the years so I forgot what died or not.

She winks, Let's dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

cool thanks i might check out the soda bottle one. even befor with old co2 befor it got out of wack it worked fine but i notice everytime i change it im always cleaning bottles because its all foamy at top and entire lids foamed up. and that was with 1 tsp yeast i tryed using half teaspon of yeast but didnt do much and lasted maybe 3 days 5 tops wich is on average with what i get with 1 tsp i average 5 days id say a nice sold 3 and a half-4 days bubbles then slows down 2 2-3 bubbles a in entire counter at same time. but i got more co2 i think unless bubbles are not co2 wich is what i think is what co2 is th ebubbles i see. tell u what though with this mess just happend and my dog with cancer after a year of not smoking surprise its back and im mad i let the erge to take over when i was doing so good not to get off subject of fish tank but stress always makes me want a newport
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

Look into a pressurized system. You don't have to go into those huge scuba tanks as you mentioned. I"m using Paintball co2 tank, They're about a 2L soda bottle size but thinner in diameter. Works perfectly well and built for less than $65 or so. Others here have built it way less. It's a thread I made, take a read if you like.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...diy-setup.html

Only thing is that, I"m using the Watts Needle Valve I suggested and is working fine with all 3 of my setups. But some people are having problems with it, so they're going with better needle valve to make it work.

I would be mad too if my fish from a year or so died as a result of the unit you used.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I think you are using far too much yeast. That causes it to foam up, overfilling the bottle and forcing yeast mixture out into the aquarium. I used to use about 3/8 teaspoon of yeast in a 3 liter bottle, 3 cups of sugar. I can see increasing the yeast to 1/2 tsp or 3/4 tsp, but never 1.5 tsp, and your bottle is far smaller than 3 liters, so it would need even less yeast.

You shouldn't get any foaming that is noticeable. The object is a slow generation of CO2, but a long lasting one.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode