1Likes
  • 2 Post By GraphicGr8s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Building my first aquarium rack need advice

Hi all

I am in the process of planning out my first true fish room and am looking at building my own racks.

My over all design is to follow the same basic design that Joey from the "King of DIY" youtube channel has shown how to build, such as the stand he built for his 375 gallon tank.

I am planning on having two levels for tanks, the top level and a single shelf lower down for a second tank

I don't have access to a table saw so my plane is to use the precut plywood project panels, you can get at Home Depot or Lowe's, on the top and on the shelf. this will give me approximately an area 24" by 48" on each level.
Normally I know you would want the shelf size to match the dimensions of the tank, but given the lack of a table saw this is more doable for me.

The question is if I use 2x6 for the frame will that provide enough support for me to place smaller tanks on the shelves with out worrying about it collapsing or sagging over time.

I am planing on having the four corners support and adding in a additional mid support along the back of the stand, along with cross members spaced evenly along the length of the stand.

I am currently looking at using 30 gallon tanks.

I am also thinking of using joist hangers to give the cross members more support

I know it may be overkill but prefer to overbuild the stand then have issues down the road.

Please let me know if this design will work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:59 AM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
2 x 4 is more than enough. Forget the 2x6.

You don't need a table saw. Do you own, or can you borrow a circular saw?

Joey's stands are sure strong but if you can cut dadoes with a circ saw you can build a strong stand that is lighter in weight. None of my racks have plywood under the tanks. It's just another place for water to collect when a tank decides to overfill itself.
The link below is about my fish house and has shots of a couple of racks. The long rack is designed to hold 3 55 gallon tanks even though I currently have other tanks on them. The rack is built with 2 x3 wood.

The other racks for the 22 breeders were built first and I used 2x4 because I had them leftover from another building I put up. No use wasting them.

I cut kerfs about 1/4" apart for the dados, knocked out the little strips left and smoothed the bottoms with a hand chisel.

All my racks I've built with a circ saw, hammer, chisel and a drill/driver. So not a large investment in tools at all.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ish-house.html

Ted Judy shows how.

I built my workbench using this method 30 years ago. Still darn strong.
deeda and deeda like this.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Last edited by GraphicGr8s; 12-08-2017 at 04:03 AM. Reason: dded link
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
2 x 4 is more than enough. Forget the 2x6.

You don't need a table saw. Do you own, or can you borrow a circular saw?

Joey's stands are sure strong but if you can cut dadoes with a circ saw you can build a strong stand that is lighter in weight. None of my racks have plywood under the tanks. It's just another place for water to collect when a tank decides to overfill itself.
The link below is about my fish house and has shots of a couple of racks. The long rack is designed to hold 3 55 gallon tanks even though I currently have other tanks on them. The rack is built with 2 x3 wood.

The other racks for the 22 breeders were built first and I used 2x4 because I had them leftover from another building I put up. No use wasting them.

I cut kerfs about 1/4" apart for the dados, knocked out the little strips left and smoothed the bottoms with a hand chisel.

All my racks I've built with a circ saw, hammer, chisel and a drill/driver. So not a large investment in tools at all.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ish-house.html

Ted Judy shows how.

TedsFishroom - Racking - YouTube

I built my workbench using this method 30 years ago. Still darn strong.
Thanks for the reply, I saw your video while I was doing research on the stand design. One of the main reason I am planning on going with Joey's design is I already own a compound miter saw and if I use the precut plywood panels then I will have no need to buy a new tool

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:05 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironroot View Post
Thanks for the reply, I saw your video while I was doing research on the stand design. One of the main reason I am planning on going with Joey's design is I already own a compound miter saw and if I use the precut plywood panels then I will have no need to buy a new tool
Go ahead and use Joey's design. Just leave out the plywood shelves. Let the tank rest right on the 2x4s.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Go ahead and use Joey's design. Just leave out the plywood shelves. Let the tank rest right on the 2x4s.
Even if I make the stand bigger then the dimensions of the tank?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode