need advice for DIY stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
need advice for DIY stand

so i got a new tv and need to re-arrange my room. i have a 29, 20L, and two 10's. i've seen pictures of someone using cinder blocks and boards of wood to make a tall stand where i can stack individual tanks. anyone have tips or ideas with multiple tank stands. or is there something i can buy at sears or a hardware store made of metal that could hold the weight of the tanks?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20g red devil tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I wouldn't even think of going more then two cinder blocks high, it would be way too unstable. You can make a stand out of 2x4's and plywood.

___My 120 Gallon___ EHEIM PIMP #407, 2x 2229, 2x 1250 Hobby Pumps, 1x Ecco 2236, and 1x Eheim Sludge Extractor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lowes is selling a rack that can withhold a 75g for $50. you can put like 3 55g on that thing and it'd hold. not from personal experience but from someone else's experience

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If I were using a metal rack I think I would also put a sheet of 3/4 plywood under the tank, to spread out the load better. I would be concerned that the rack would deflect a bit leaving the tank supported only at the ends.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have several of the garage organizing stands sold by Home Depot.
They could stand up to 6' high, but the legs are in 2 sections, 3' each, and I use them that way.
The set comes with 5 shelves. This is a bit crowded, no room to access the tank for maintenance. I just use 2 shelves on each 3' high set of legs.

They are sturdy, and have no tendency for the system to shift diagonally when the shelves are in place.

My only problem is that the shelves are unpainted particle board. I have replaced them with painted, exterior grade plywood. 1/2" for tanks up to a standard 29 gallon. Even tanks that do not reach the sides or the main supports of the shelves are not making the plywood sag.

I have several tanks on CMU blocks. Mostly 8 x 8 x 16, and they are very sturdy. One way to use these is to set up one pair, then lay a shelf across these. Make sure the shelf fills the whole block. Then a few more blocks, and another shelf. I would not go higher than 3 blocks in a stack without the stability of a shelf connecting the whole structure into one unit.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
If I were using a metal rack I think I would also put a sheet of 3/4 plywood under the tank, to spread out the load better. I would be concerned that the rack would deflect a bit leaving the tank supported only at the ends.
Agreed. I have a rack designed to hold 500 lbs per shelf with 4 10g tanks on 1 shelf... at best 400 lbs. It is deflecting severely. I am going to add 1/2 or 3/4 ply to it this week.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode