1Likes
  • 2 Post By tourist585

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Generating enough pressure for DIY CO2

Hi,
I have made a really effective DIY CO2 generator using muriatic acid and limestone and I can produce A LOT of CO2, I used to have the outflow pipe of the CO2 connected to my pump but around 3/4 of the CO2 went to waste so I bought a CO2 difuser (this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fish-Tank...AAAOSwYaxZksqk but I couldnt create enough pressure to be able to difuse the CO2 through the difuser because the ceramic is really tough.
My kit consists of 2 bottles (1 bottle with acid and 1 bottle with limestone) the acid bottle syphons small amounts of acid to the limestone bottle which is adjustable with a valve and I adjust the amount of CO2 created from the limestone bottle using another valve which goes though a "bubble counter" (basicly a plastic bottle with water) which then is connected to the CO2 difuser itself in the aquarium.
I can create some bubbles through the difuser if I squeeze the limestone bottle containing some the CO2 but after a while it just stops difusing.
Does anyone know what I could do to increase enough pressure so that the CO2 difuser can difuse CO2?
maxhrbal and maxhrbal like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist585 View Post
Hi,
I have made a really effective DIY CO2 generator using muriatic acid and limestone and I can produce A LOT of CO2, I used to have the outflow pipe of the CO2 connected to my pump but around 3/4 of the CO2 went to waste so I bought a CO2 difuser (this one: [Ebay Link Removed] but I couldnt create enough pressure to be able to difuse the CO2 through the difuser because the ceramic is really tough.
My kit consists of 2 bottles (1 bottle with acid and 1 bottle with limestone) the acid bottle syphons small amounts of acid to the limestone bottle which is adjustable with a valve and I adjust the amount of CO2 created from the limestone bottle using another valve which goes though a "bubble counter" (basicly a plastic bottle with water) which then is connected to the CO2 difuser itself in the aquarium.
I can create some bubbles through the difuser if I squeeze the limestone bottle containing some the CO2 but after a while it just stops difusing.
Does anyone know what I could do to increase enough pressure so that the CO2 difuser can difuse CO2?
If you're not getting backflow then you should be ok, it's diffusing, just very slowly so you can't really see it. The only way to increase your pressure would be to add a compressor somewhere into the system (air pump, etc).

Last edited by JusticeBeaver; 11-19-2017 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, it dosent I would be able to see/hear the bubbles difusing but nothing happens I know how small the bubbles can get, only when I generate enough by squeezing the bottle then the bubbles come out but only a few and then after a few hours it stops.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would go for a different solution and look at some of the other "reactor" type that take little pressure, only time. Some like ladders, etc.?
Increased pressure seems running too close to the edge for DIY?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok maybe, are you implying that other different CO2 difusers/reactors may difuse CO2 easier? At this point I dont care if the system is DIY anymore, I just want a cheap solution to a CO2 system which actually works, because spending 200-300 on an aquarium accessory dosenīt seem really worth it if there are other solutions.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY is really a low pressure system so many of the diffusers out there won't work for you. I suggest looking up and building a Grigg's style reactor. Cheap and super efficient.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could try changing the reaction bottle to a glass bottle and get CO2 tubing that is less "balloon-ey". Most ceramic diffusers have a working pressure of 30-40 lbs, and I think a glass bottle would be fine at that pressure.

The risk you run is your glass bottle exploding and sending Muriatic Acid all over the place. I'm not sure this is worth the risk lol.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I might use glass instead if its strong enough, and my aquarium is a bit too small for a griggs style reactor. I think Iīll find a way to put an air pump inside the limestone bottle, so then I can force the CO2 through the difuser, the only problem is finding away to seal the bottle with a pump in it.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Something to consider is the working pressure of whatever air pump you use, if the working pressure is too low you will actually bleed all your CO2 back through the pump. Not sure on what type of air pump you would need or even if the working pressure is too low/high on most air pumps, just food for thought.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Almost all reactors outside of the ceramic/Atomic type will be lower pressure. Something as simple as one of the ladder types? Or a Grigg's or Cerge's style if DIY is in the game. Normally those are best when we need lots of CO2 which doesn't fit with DIY CO2.
This is one type that I found in a quick search:
Tunze USA 7074.500 Co2 Diffuser Compact Carbon Dioxide Reactor
Not at all sure I would recommend it due to the extreme price but the idea is what counts here. The CO2 enters at the bottom while the pump is forcing water down through the tube. That makes the bubbles trying to rise against the flow of the downflowing water. Much the same principle as the DIY Grigg's reactors. The main point would be that there is very little pressure to keep the CO 2 from flowing. Other styles might be the one that lets the bubble go up an incline to another incline so that it is delayed before reaching the surface. The longer exposure time is what makes the CO2 enter the water. No pressure involved.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Vohlk that is partially true but donīt forget that if there is no CO2 left in the closed system then acid will want to be "pushed" into the limestone bottle because its connected via syphon, thus creating more CO2 and a higher pressure available to pump to the aquarium. PlantedRich isnīt the "Tunze USA 7074.500 Co2 Diffuser Compact Carbon Dioxide Reactor " just basicly some tubing and a pump? Also this is kind of what I had done already, I connected the CO2 pipe to my pump/filter outlet, so the filter would flow water with CO2 bubbles inside of it, but most of the CO2 didnīt dissolve properly, only some bubbles were small and the rest just "escaped" to the surface of the water, I suppose I could improve/upgrade that idea of just using my filter to distribute the CO2 but since I have already bought the CO2 difuser/reactor I might aswell do something else to make sure it works and I have used the outlet/water flow for something else so itīs kind of unavalilable, only if I buy a new cheap small pump.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 03:01 PM

I am currently using a surface skimmer with my diy co2 on my 3ft. Seems to be working, bubbles rise to the surface and then gets sucked up again. My flow runs from one end to the other, with my skimmer blowing the opp direction.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode