https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008CUZJF6...511109377&sr=2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post

No, but you can put together a good CO2 system with an ebay regulator and paintball tank for about $100.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
No, but you can put together a good CO2 system with an ebay regulator and paintball tank for about $100.
Do you have instructions on how this is done? I've been researching and I can't figure out how to obtain all the parts I would need.

Bump: Is this what I would need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AQUATEK-CO2-Regulator-Mini-with-Integrated-COOL-TOUCH-Solenoid/230840227751?epid=1212274007&hash=item35bf2657a7:g :fcoAA

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

There is a green CO2 regulator on ebay from China. It is about $40-45 shipped. I use this and it has been great. No leaks, steady flow, brass fittings, easy to adjust.

Most of the commercial regulators are made in China anyway...

Get one with the voltage of your country (110v)...

They all ship with DIN477 (european Co2 threads) but this doesnt matter because you will be converting to paintball tank.

You can get a DIN477 to paintball adapter from CO2Art in the UK. Its about $20. They also have good prices on the clear co2 tubing. They also have drop checkers, even though you dont really need one. You can add those to your order to get free shipping.

Buy a 24 oz paintball tank on Amazon. They are $23.

Get the tank filled at Dick's Sporting Goods for $5.

You need an API KH test kit and should already have a pH test kit. The KH and pH will tell you how much CO2 is in your tank.

Full paintball tank lasts on my 50g 7+ weeks.

Get one of those anti leak valves $5 from somewhere to keep water from siphoning into your Co2 regulator when it is off.

Keep Co2 tank vertical. You wont be able to use the bubble counter that comes with it. If you need to know your flow rate, disconnect the tube and put it in a clear bottle of water. Count bubbles.

Thats all you need. GL.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

psalm18.2, I made my own CO2 generator for around 10 euros using muriatic acid(hidrochloric acid) and limestone(CaCO3), I can generate 5 bubbles per second if I wanted to and it would last me at least 2 months. You can buy some rocks made out of CaCO3 (Calcium Carbonate) from home depot or similar store and you can buy the muriatic acid cheap in most stores in the cleaning section. The only problem Iīve encountered is to generate enough pressure to be able to difuse the CO2 out of a proper nano CO2 difuser, but u can connect it to your pumps outflow which will distribute the CO2 around the whole aquarium.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

For $12 you can't beat it. Looks like it comes with everything you need. Definitely better than literally DIYing some crazy caps yourself with silicone or something. Looks like all you need is two bottles and you're ready to mix up a batch.

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattered View Post
For $12 you can't beat it. Looks like it comes with everything you need. Definitely better than literally DIYing some crazy caps yourself with silicone or something. Looks like all you need is two bottles and you're ready to mix up a batch.

Right!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Planted Member

I've never heard of using muriotic acid before. That's hardcore but I'd be nervous having that stuff around my tanks personally. I use it to breakdown coal tar emulsion and concrete splatter at work. I'm sure it works just seems extreme. I use a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast with brown sugar and a dash of baking soda. Works pretty well

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I've never heard of using muriotic acid before. That's hardcore but I'd be nervous having that stuff around my tanks personally. I use it to breakdown coal tar emulsion and concrete splatter at work. I'm sure it works just seems extreme. I use a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast with brown sugar and a dash of baking soda. Works pretty well

What's your receipe for a 2 litter soda bottle? Thanks.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:09 PM
Planted Member

[QUOTE=psalm18.2;10606338]Do you have instructions on how this is done? I've been researching and I can't figure out how to obtain all the parts I would need.

Bump: Is this what I would need?
[Ebay Link Removed] art sells the whole paintball setup for around $120. I bought 2 but one was defective so watch em. The working unit is great just refilled some tanks today. I keep a full tank on deck at all times so there's no lapse in flow when I run out

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Planted Member

I use a kombucha "scoby" which are sometimes available for free on craiglist. Don't see why a "vinegar mother" wouldn't work just as well. Seems they last longer than say bakers yeast alone. I heat up some water and add approx 3/4 cup of sugar for a 2 liter soda bottle. Dissolve the sugar and the scoby. It takes a while to build pressure but then it really last for a few weeks. At least 2 sometimes 3. Like it can take 2-3 days to start producing bubbles but you can have the next reactor already going so there's no lapse in flow. Make a new bottle every 10 days or so and just don't cap it. Keep a piece of cloth over the hole with a rubber band til your ready to use it

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I use a kombucha "scoby" which are sometimes available for free on craiglist. Don't see why a "vinegar mother" wouldn't work just as well. Seems they last longer than say bakers yeast alone. I heat up some water and add approx 3/4 cup of sugar for a 2 liter soda bottle. Dissolve the sugar and the scoby. It takes a while to build pressure but then it really last for a few weeks. At least 2 sometimes 3. Like it can take 2-3 days to start producing bubbles but you can have the next reactor already going so there's no lapse in flow. Make a new bottle every 10 days or so and just don't cap it. Keep a piece of cloth over the hole with a rubber band til your ready to use it

What is Kombucha scoby?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 PM
Planted Member

Symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast used to ferment a probiotic tea-drink traditionally used in central asia to promote healthy digestion etc. It's been popular in the new age movement in the u.s. since the 60's. The scoby itself is the floating mass in the middle which grows and grows as it consumes the sugar. Pieces can be peeled off from the mother and used to start new cultures. This is necessary as it outgrows it's container so they're easy to come by

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:05 AM
Algae Grower

Using muriatic acid and such does sound "scary" but i always add water to the mix, I buy 1 bottle which consists of 37,5% muriatic acid and the rest water then I add that and 2 or 3 parts water for my setup. This really works and I donīt really know why nobody uses this idea much, I can produce so much CO2 so easly and it lasts me a long time, also the more concentrated the acid is the less acid solution I have to use and the more CO2 will be created in function of how much CaCO3 there is available, I can probably create a setup with this idea which lasts 3/4 months producing 1 bubble per second if I increase the capacity of both acid and limestone (CaCO3) bottles.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:20 PM
Planted Member

I'll try it

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode