• 6 Post By Kurama21
  • 2 Post By Nubster
  • 2 Post By Kurama21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I built a stand

built with 2 x 4s wrapped in Oak in a dark walnut finish. My garage LED shop lights make the finish look uneven since I had to use flash.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Wow...looks like a professionally build piece of furniture.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Very nice job. I see it as being an example of making good use of some of the ready-made trim to solve problems. Exactly why they were invented!
Tell us about the doors? Do we see ready made, repurposed, or are those your time and effort showing? Good results in either case.
Looks taller than some. Do you have a special spot in mind or just the way it looks right to you? I had a table in the view so made a tall one for the spot.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Very nice job. I see it as being an example of making good use of some of the ready-made trim to solve problems. Exactly why they were invented!
Tell us about the doors? Do we see ready made, repurposed, or are those your time and effort showing? Good results in either case.
Looks taller than some. Do you have a special spot in mind or just the way it looks right to you? I had a table in the view so made a tall one for the spot.
It was the first piece of furniture I have ever built so I think I could do a lot better on my next build, just something to do while my tile in the bathroom I was building set along with the grout hah. The tank sits around the 4 foot mark, Its going near my computer stand I'm just really tall so I figured Id make this taller than the average piece. I had colonial oak trim sitting around post bedroom remodel. I was lazy and just bought premade oak doors they were $18 a piece. I also purchased the crown moulding and L pieces. I figured since the black stands from the big box stores were 140$ or so I could build something much nicer looking for similar. I also had all the tools already though too. Now that the stand is actually built Ill have to figure out what I want to do with the tank, I sort of wanted to do a dutch, but also really want a shrimp tank but that might be better suited for a smaller tank. The stand was built for a 40g breeder in mind.
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That stand would be perfect for me. Wish I could hire you.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurama21 View Post
It was the first piece of furniture I have ever built so I think I could do a lot better on my next build, just something to do while my tile in the bathroom I was building set along with the grout hah. The tank sits around the 4 foot mark, Its going near my computer stand I'm just really tall so I figured Id make this taller than the average piece. I had colonial oak trim sitting around post bedroom remodel. I was lazy and just bought premade oak doors they were $18 a piece. I also purchased the crown moulding and L pieces. I figured since the black stands from the big box stores were 140$ or so I could build something much nicer looking for similar. I also had all the tools already though too. Now that the stand is actually built Ill have to figure out what I want to do with the tank, I sort of wanted to do a dutch, but also really want a shrimp tank but that might be better suited for a smaller tank. The stand was built for a 40g breeder in mind.
Very nice for something done "while setting around"!!
The doors look like a great choice as well. Always good to see how we can use different methods to get what we want. Good show!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Planted Member

good handy skills u have, turned out nice!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Captain

PTrader: (1/100%)
Nice to see someone else building and staining DIY stands.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Nice to see someone else building and staining DIY stands.
Stained wood is so pretty, Ill probably build most of my furniture.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode