I built a stand - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 6 Post By Kurama21
  • 2 Post By Nubster
  • 2 Post By Kurama21
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 26
I built a stand

built with 2 x 4s wrapped in Oak in a dark walnut finish. My garage LED shop lights make the finish look uneven since I had to use flash.






Kurama21 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
Nubster's Avatar
 
PTrader: (17/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Romney, West Virginia
Posts: 4,367
Wow...looks like a professionally build piece of furniture.
ChrisX and ChrisX like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nubster is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,817
Very nice job. I see it as being an example of making good use of some of the ready-made trim to solve problems. Exactly why they were invented!
Tell us about the doors? Do we see ready made, repurposed, or are those your time and effort showing? Good results in either case.
Looks taller than some. Do you have a special spot in mind or just the way it looks right to you? I had a table in the view so made a tall one for the spot.
PlantedRich is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Very nice job. I see it as being an example of making good use of some of the ready-made trim to solve problems. Exactly why they were invented!
Tell us about the doors? Do we see ready made, repurposed, or are those your time and effort showing? Good results in either case.
Looks taller than some. Do you have a special spot in mind or just the way it looks right to you? I had a table in the view so made a tall one for the spot.
It was the first piece of furniture I have ever built so I think I could do a lot better on my next build, just something to do while my tile in the bathroom I was building set along with the grout hah. The tank sits around the 4 foot mark, Its going near my computer stand I'm just really tall so I figured Id make this taller than the average piece. I had colonial oak trim sitting around post bedroom remodel. I was lazy and just bought premade oak doors they were $18 a piece. I also purchased the crown moulding and L pieces. I figured since the black stands from the big box stores were 140$ or so I could build something much nicer looking for similar. I also had all the tools already though too. Now that the stand is actually built Ill have to figure out what I want to do with the tank, I sort of wanted to do a dutch, but also really want a shrimp tank but that might be better suited for a smaller tank. The stand was built for a 40g breeder in mind.
Immortal1 and Immortal1 like this.
Kurama21 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
irishspy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles, third door on the left
Posts: 339
That stand would be perfect for me. Wish I could hire you.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
irishspy is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 03:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PlantedRich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 11,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurama21 View Post
It was the first piece of furniture I have ever built so I think I could do a lot better on my next build, just something to do while my tile in the bathroom I was building set along with the grout hah. The tank sits around the 4 foot mark, Its going near my computer stand I'm just really tall so I figured Id make this taller than the average piece. I had colonial oak trim sitting around post bedroom remodel. I was lazy and just bought premade oak doors they were $18 a piece. I also purchased the crown moulding and L pieces. I figured since the black stands from the big box stores were 140$ or so I could build something much nicer looking for similar. I also had all the tools already though too. Now that the stand is actually built Ill have to figure out what I want to do with the tank, I sort of wanted to do a dutch, but also really want a shrimp tank but that might be better suited for a smaller tank. The stand was built for a 40g breeder in mind.
Very nice for something done "while setting around"!!
The doors look like a great choice as well. Always good to see how we can use different methods to get what we want. Good show!
PlantedRich is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 152
good handy skills u have, turned out nice!
al4n is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Captain
 
Immortal1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,978
Nice to see someone else building and staining DIY stands.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Immortal1 is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: MN
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Nice to see someone else building and staining DIY stands.
Stained wood is so pretty, Ill probably build most of my furniture.
Kurama21 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome