Bulkheads with canister filter - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes
  • 6 Post By PlantedRich
  • 4 Post By zerodameaon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bulkheads with canister filter

I am planning to build a 300 gal. tank and a diy canister filter with no sump. I do not want a syphon tube hanging on the back, I would rather use a bulkhead. Are there any problems with this type of setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

The first thing that comes to my mind is always keeping the water level above the bulkhead so as to not suck air into the filter. Is there a specific reason you don't want to build a DIY sump instead of a DIY canister filter?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

This tank is going to be a freshwater planted tank. I can build a canister for less than a a trickle filter with equal filtration. A sump would just be another piece of equipment to build. I would place the bulkhead low enough, that with the proper plumbing I could also use it for water changes, and would not have to worry about losing a syphon.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would advise careful thought before doing the DIY canister if not already done one. I see very few (none?) that come out with something I would want to deal with over the long haul. I often get the response that it is done on U-tube, etc. but then I also have to point out that there are tons of bad ideas on the internet!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

As the ex owner of a DIY canister and current owner of store bought canisters and DIY sumps, do either of the latter. There is a reason I am a ex owner.

Here fishy fishy.

Last edited by zerodameaon; 11-17-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Clarifying store bought canister.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 05:24 AM
Planted Member

I tried the DIY canister filter years ago and it was nothing but a headache! So I spent the money on one of the larger Eheim canisters... SO MUCH EASIER IN EVERY WAY. Then I bought an used tank that came with a trickle (wet / dry) sump and I will never go back to a canister filter. The expensive Eheim sits on the shelf.

Trickle sumps are a hundred times easier to maintain. I don't have to pull the whole filter out from under the tank to clean it. I just pull the pad and sponge out of the sump, rinse them off then put them back in. I don't even have to cut the water flow (pump) to clean it.

I paid about $120 for the 5 gal wet dry that sits under dirt bottom planted my 35g hex tank. Worth every penny! You will probably have close to that in plumbing fittings once you get you DIY canister working how you want... been there! My filter needed a lot of cleaning initially due to the dirt substrate, I am glad cleaning was so easy.

May I inquire about what you are going to use for a canister for your DIY canister?

Tags
bulkhead, canister filter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode