Timer to turn off skimmer for short time? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Timer to turn off skimmer for short time?

Hey everyone,

I remember seeing a thread here a while back for a DIY solution to turn off a filter for a short period of time while feeding, but I canít find it again. My problem, is that I have a surface skimmer that I want to turn off for feeding time, but I donít want to stand there and wait for the fish to finish eating so I can turn it back on. Someone designed something that was a simple push button that turned his filter off for 10 mintues, then automatically turned it back on again. Does anyone remember where this was and can post a link?

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
https://www.grainger.com/product/ICM-Relay-4E233?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/4E233_AS01?$smthumb$

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/20...r-feeding.html

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That might work, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I thought I saw something someone made that was just a push-button. You push the button, the power is cut, and it comes back on 10 minutes later.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
That might work, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I thought I saw something someone made that was just a push-button. You push the button, the power is cut, and it comes back on 10 minutes later.
This is a DIY project. A simple one but still DIY. That link is for a timer only. One that will not turn power on again after an interruption for a specific time period.

That unit does require a momentary contact switch to work which you have to supply and wire correctly.
Did you read the thread at all? You push a momentary contact switch to kill power and the timer starts it back up after a certain period of time.

As far as I know they do not make a unit to turn power on again after a time. I looked. Everything I found was to turn power off not back on. I wanted something that would turn off my sump pump for 10 minutes while I fed then turn it back on. Same as what you want.
There is no such animal.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

https://hydrobuilder.com/c-a-p-hid-l...pat120vac.html

This might work for you, basically you flip the power to this device off for a few seconds, it senses the power loss, and keeps the power off for another 15 minutes.

Here fishy fishy.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Simple, I've not seen. The AC cutoff relay is as near simple as I see. But then it is possible to wire a relay to a timer and let the relay pull up to power up again. Not simple and not real pretty to do it but would work. We all thought there should be a simple timer to count up to power on but all we found were wired to power off.
Another potential starting point might be to use one of the cheap digital temp controllers that has a built in compressor delay which can be set. In theory, one could use some form of temperature change to start the compressor delay and that would repower things after the delay. Still not pretty!!
Maybe we did not look at all the correct spots so if you do find one that is simple, please let us know!

Last edited by PlantedRich; 11-09-2017 at 09:27 PM. Reason: added info
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I found something, but can't link it at the moment. If you wire an SPDT spring wound timer in reverse, you can get it to work in reverse. I'll send a link once I find it again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I have my uv filter on a mechanical timer. Each 30 min increment is "on", so before feeding, i flip it off, and within 30 min it will turn back on.
ipkiss and ipkiss like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I think I found something, but can't link it at the moment. If you wire an SPDT spring wound timer in reverse, you can get it to work in reverse. I'll send a link once I find it again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Here it is... I'm not an electrical guy, but I have a good friend who might be able to figure this out.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Like those timed switches in hotel bathrooms, so you can't run the fan and lights all day. I've seen several guys do this in reef tanks, just in reverse of hotels so its "off" for that amount of time. Turn the crank to 15-20 minutes, and when it hits zero the pumps cut back on

Dang photobucket killed so many good threads, but you could search some reef keeping forums for the exact way to set it up.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 05:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Timer to turn off skimmer for short time?

I only run my skimmer at night and it work great to keep the surface clear all the time. I find I don't need it during the day. I know this doesn't answer your question but it may solve your problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
I only run my skimmer at night and it work great to keep the surface clear all the time. I find I don't need it during the day. I know this doesn't answer your question but it may solve your problem

I'm completely the opposite. I have a school of Zebra Danios, and if I leave it on at night they get sucked in. I suppose they sleep or something...

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakJimW View Post

Like those timed switches in hotel bathrooms, so you can't run the fan and lights all day. I've seen several guys do this in reef tanks, just in reverse of hotels so its "off" for that amount of time. Turn the crank to 15-20 minutes, and when it hits zero the pumps cut back on

Dang photobucket killed so many good threads, but you could search some reef keeping forums for the exact way to set it up.
Yes, exactly this.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Another option tht is a little pricer but can be used for other things is a controller. I have a herpkeeper on my vivarium which Is pretty much a reefkeeper light and it has a standby mode that will turn pumps off for a set amount of time based on how you set it up

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Here it is... I'm not an electrical guy, but I have a good friend who might be able to figure this out.

I have found the drawing several times. But then finding the timer to match the drawing? Not so far!
As I said, maybe we just looked in the wrong places.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
I have my uv filter on a mechanical timer. Each 30 min increment is "on", so before feeding, i flip it off, and within 30 min it will turn back on.
Haha... splendid! the simplicity of this solution is ingenious! Might make me want to go back to a mechanical timer. But those things are big and take up too much space on my power strip. Hmm, It's probably possible to replicate with a smart enough digital timer. IF you program in all ons in the 30 programs that you can set up and never offs, it'll essentially turn it on whenever someone turns it off! Of course not all digital timers would work this way. You would need a digital timer that has an independent on/off from the timer mode. Intermatics come to mind. They're usually friendly about letting you do what you want with on/off while resuming program mode when you walk away. No so much with the cruddy westinghouse ones as they make you switch between on/off/timer modes. so YMMV.

The only bad part about this is .. if I turned it off right at minute 29, I'd only have a minute of joy before it starts!

This sounds like another arduino job and a relay! But it's definitely easier said than done.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode