Inline Heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inline Heater

I want to make a DIY inline heater

...someone point me in the right direction (particularly, how to do get an electric cord thru PVC w/o a HUGE mess...and Ill catalog my journey!

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
may i ask what the point about diy for this is? it seems like something i'd rather count on working like a hydor eth instead of worrying about leaks or heater failure. of course maybe i'm just being overly worried.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

most DIY projects are for 2 reasons

1. fun

2. price point

I think I could make something that works for A LOT less than the $45-50 a hydor would cost me...then I could spend the extra $$$$ on cool stuff like plants, fish, food, ferts, or CO2

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to Green024
There are probably more threads in the DIY section that could help you. The: Search This Forum link on the right side of the page if very handy.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...eater-56k.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...r-housing.html

Pimp #420
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

yea...I saw those...but they arent what Im looking for...thx tho

...I think in the end, Im just going to experiment some

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
What exactly are you looking to do?

Snazzy's design (which Green024 linked to) works very well, and the Heyco cordgrip in that thread is probably the cleanest way to get an electric cord through PVC without a mess.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a cheap heater (as in on/off, no temp control) I just want the entire thing in the submerged with only the cord coming thru (or else it will shatter)

I plan to cut the cord close to the plug...thread it thru the PVC pipe...then splice the wires back together

I just need a leak proof way to get the cord thru

I was thinking about cutting two "L"s into a piece of tubing and a coupling...putting them together and twisting (dry fit first) and if it works how I want it to...cementing them together...but if it doesnt work...Ive wasted PVC (cheap, so who cares) and a heater (not so cheap)

...if theres an easier way...I would much prefer to do that

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Liquid tight cordgrips (like the Heyco ones) are available in a range of different sizes. If you use a cordgrip that's sized for your heater cord you can modify Snazzy's design to have the entire heater in the tube with only the cord protruding. I think I've seen people do this with titanium heaters that need to be completely submerged - if you do a search you might be able to find some the threads. Unfortunately this will only work is your heater cord is cylindrical - the cordgrips might not be able to tighten down to provide a water tight seal against a flat cord.

The other option might just be to drill a hole in a PVC endcap, stick the cord through and then apply liberal amounts of slow-curing epoxy to the inside and outside to seal the hole. Then just cement the endcap into a PVC tube containing your heater. Unlike the cordgrip, this would be a permanent seal so you'd have to scrap the entire thing if the heater failed.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

^^could also do the same thing with a threaded PVC endcap so I could replace a part if need be...

...were getting some ideas flowing here...me likey!!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 04:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
This is one that I did, I've got three of these working now and not any leaks or problems at all.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...odule-56k.html

Not sure if it is the direction you want to go but take a look.

-
-

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

AWESOME work..thank you for that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode