Top Fin Retreat 2.5 and 5 gallon mods - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kattikawn View Post
It's an ugly soldering job, but it worked. The chip is definitely just rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise. Tested the pin combinations and it still matches up with the other version of the board. If you have shaky hands and/or haven't soldered before, recruit a friend and a magnifying glass for this one. Also fine gauge solder wire. The one I have was too big.
Just an added tidbit, I did the same modification but my soldering iron is just too big to be that precise. To get around this I rang out the connections on the board and found 2 easier solder points. U1's pin closest to the capacitance sensor rings out to the middle pin on the right of U2 (U2 pin 5). U2's pin 1 rings out to one of the trace holes just next to the U2 label. So I stuck my wire through the hole, soldered it in place, then soldered to the larger pin on U1. Turns on with power now like you'd want. Here's a photo of what I did.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pump died in mine within about 7 months.

Any suggestions for a replacement?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A. View Post
Pump died in mine within about 7 months.

Any suggestions for a replacement?
One of mine had a little pebble stuck in it for several months and wasn't spinning. After removing the pebble it ran again. I've bought a couple of other similarly small pumps for some other projects that could easily be fitted. Look for 3 watt pumps. I'm not sure what the voltage is, I'll check when I get home, but I have a hunch it's 12v. You could find quite a list of them on ebay with the search term "3w 12v pump".

Alternatively I've been thinking a better idea is to replace the pump with an airlift tube and run the filtration via air pump. You'd get better low flow control via airline valve. Also a single large air pump is easier to put on battery backup than a bunch of little water pumps, easier in the sense that it uses less power so the battery backup would last for longer in a power outage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

|
|

Last edited by FishRFriendz; 11-05-2018 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Also

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
One of mine had a little pebble stuck in it for several months and wasn't spinning. After removing the pebble it ran again. I've bought a couple of other similarly small pumps for some other projects that could easily be fitted. Look for 3 watt pumps. I'm not sure what the voltage is, I'll check when I get home, but I have a hunch it's 12v. You could find quite a list of them on ebay with the search term "3w 12v pump".

Alternatively I've been thinking a better idea is to replace the pump with an airlift tube and run the filtration via air pump. You'd get better low flow control via airline valve. Also a single large air pump is easier to put on battery backup than a bunch of little water pumps, easier in the sense that it uses less power so the battery backup would last for longer in a power outage.
Thanks. Yeah, this one is dead unfortunately. Took it apart and impeller doesn't turn. Pump is labeled as "DC200" 12V, 2.8W, 180 l/hr, .85m head. I've seen some others but not sure which are worth buying. Probably all about the same I suppose. Nothing in the tank but plants and snails so not a big problem. Have an air/sponge filter in it now just to hold things over. Need to look anyway for a similar backup for my Spec V too where I do have things that matter so will force me to get that done. drsfostersmith.com had some Hagen(?) pumps that looked good for cheap that I should have grabbed then but not available now. I'll post if I find something that looks good for future reference for anyone else who may be looking.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Tired of the pump getting stuck. Too many snails. Getting the pump out is too much hassle so...

And an Azoo mignon 60 amazingly fits without modding the lid and the light is still centered.

|
|
|

|
|

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 AM
Algae Grower

Anyone have any idea if this light mod would allow the light to work with an inline 12v dimmer? Ive picked up 2 different inline 12v dimmers on Amazon and neither has worked. I noticed today that if I turn the dimmer up to full power and then press the button on the light, it will turn on. As soon as I spin the dimmer wheel, the light shuts off and will not turn back on even when the wheel is turned back to full power.

Im guessing this has to do with the fact that (like someone said earlier in the thread), the light doesn't default to on when power is applied. I understand all LEDS are not dimmable, but these LEDS must not be much different than the types used in other aquarium lights and LED strips.

Or is there anything else under the hood that I can solder to bypass this restriction. Im about to set this tank up and would really love to keep the stock light!

Thanks for any help you can send my way.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 11:23 PM

Another "always on" light mod option I just did and I think is simpler still. There's a transistor labeled "Q1". Bridge the two outside pins with a blob of solder, taking care not to bridge to the upper pin. That ignores all the switching circuitry on the board and connects the two legs of the transistor to close the switch.
FishRFriendz likes this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:23 PM

Is there any way I could see the pictures of your solder without making 10 posts? :P

Bump: Hi, I just discovered this thread and I'm planning to do the light mod with no prior soldering/electronics circuitry knowledge? Do i just strip a USB cable and use any of the wires inside it for connecting the 1 and 5 pins of u2? And once that is done, I would use a separate adapter for the light is my assumption. TIA!
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarken View Post
Another "always on" light mod option I just did and I think is simpler still. There's a transistor labeled "Q1". Bridge the two outside pins with a blob of solder, taking care not to bridge to the upper pin. That ignores all the switching circuitry on the board and connects the two legs of the transistor to close the switch.
Could you please share a picture of this? what material should be used for soldering? Thanks in advance!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode