diy spray bar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
diy spray bar

okay so i've tried many different positions of the output of my fluval 305 but i can't seem to eliminate all dead zones in my 55 gallon. I decided it would probably be best to just build a spray bar for it using pvc. does anyone know of any good resource for plans for them? should i go with 3/4'' ir 1/2'' pvc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
There was an extensive tread awhile back regarding hole / pipe size etc. (might find it doing a search)
(too much math blah blah for my hobby time) I went with what my eheim hose fitted into the best 3/4". Made it the length of the back wall end to end (including the power head feeding it). Drilled 1/8" holes in a random line (some lower than others) capped the end and painted it with fusion black. If what you make weakens the output too much shorten it a bit and have another go. (But I like to tinker)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Did you use satin black? That's what I have and plan on painting it when done. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures would you? Much appreciated.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

And yeah I understand how to calculate hole size based on pipe size. But I dont know about what size pipe for good flow and best design.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Not much to take a picture of, just black pvc hung below the waterline along the back wall. Calculating cmils for unrestricted flow rate isn't the whole story (at least for me). I wanted flow all over the tank but no strong currents. I over drilled well beyond the needed number of holes. I keep angels and they prefer to 'hover' mid tank. Making the holes random from 90 to 180 degrees dispersed the flow completely. I do get a slight flow toward the front of the tank but no stream effect.

The rattle can was satin. I did three coats and waited a week to wet it yet still had some come off when cleaning after about six months.

2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

okay so i think i've decided to have the spray bar on the right side and have holes on the left and bottom to help push everything towards the intake what do you all think?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

so i got bored and decided to mess around with paint haha. this was what i was thinking. with the holes at 0 and 90 degrees. do you all think it would be beneficial to have holes drilled at 45 degrees?
Attached Images

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anyone?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
depending on substrate...you would be better rotating the pipe or it will gradually erode it away

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Unless your using an unfired organic substrate I don't see pump flow eroding the substrate. Sand, Flourite, EcoComplete etc. would be unaffected. As I posted earlier I worked the holes in a random pattern sweeping them around and back again from end to end over a 90 sweep without any connection to the order to break up the flow.

o - o - o - o
o - - o - - - - o - o pick a spot, drill a hole trying to
o - - - o - - o - - o - - - o eliminate stream effect

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i mean erode in the completely mechanical sense of the word...water flow will pick up and transport particles

it will gouge out a crater in a leveled substrate if it isnt heavy enough

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyblevins View Post
so i got bored and decided to mess around with paint haha. this was what i was thinking. with the holes at 0 and 90 degrees. do you all think it would be beneficial to have holes drilled at 45 degrees?

Hmmmm I used a similar design on my 90 gal with an XP 4 filter.
I used 3/4 pvc, three coats, black satin plastic spray paint, but set mine up to cause as little surface agitation as possible.
I drilled my holes at 1/4" and worked it out so the number of holes totaled just over the 3/4" ID of the pipe.

I also set the holes so they are aimed at the far bottom corner of the tank, effectively the longest line of travel through the tank.
All in all I am very happy with the design, as are my fish, and plants.

Greg Stephens
Arboreal Specialties

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM

I just built 2 for each of my 55 gallons out of 1/2 PVC for my 405. I basically put it in the same spot you are looking at. I put about 5 holes equally spread out spraying across and 3 spraying straight down to eliminate dead spots below the bar. I started with small holes, tested, drilled bigger holes, tested, rinse and repeat. I did this til I was happy with the flow.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

okay so yesterday i drilled 20 holes in it 10 point to the left and 10 down. but the flow isn't very strong. so i might just use 5 down and 10 left and see how that does. i have 10 feet of pvs to test on and i only use 9 inches per piece haha.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hey Jeremy, I drilled holes in a straight line and pointed it 45 degree down against the front of the glass. The flow went down to the front of the glass but was not strong enough to disturb the substrate. Then it would flow to the back of the tank to where the intake was. I built it for a 10 gallon tank so there was no dead spots and the stem plants did not sway too bad. This pattern also got rid of any algae that would grow at the bottom where the substrate meets the glass. I'm very happy with this pattern.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode