Acrylic tank with overflow, Good idea or bad idea? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Acrylic tank with overflow, Good idea or bad idea?

I've been doing more tinkering with acrylic, making nano tanks and stuff. I only use HOB filters though which feels a little noob. the cost of canister filters and even hob filters really turn me off. I wanted something a little simpler but just as effective so i came up with this idea. I've seen something similiar done, but the way i'm gonna go about it is a bit different.

the dimenisons are 10Lx10Hx9W.. the back portion is 3" wide..

basically, what i wanted was.... the water to overflow to the back. near the teeth will be filter sponge or something to catch large particles or shrimp who decide to go over the waterfall..

under that will be biomax, purigen or something to help with bacteria and bio stuff.

next to that will be a small pump to pump the clean water back into the front area of the tank.....

i have a pump, but i dont have the piping to return the water back to the front so i cant test it out. i did use a powerhead to see if it even works, it looks neat.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
good idea if you can configure it and get it to flow right, especially for smaller nano style tanks, would be an easy, clean way to have the filtration and equipment hidden and out of the main part of the tank.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Could you not drill a small hole to allow for a locline fitting return, then maybe use a tiny ball valve to regulate flow.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-15-2010, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

the pump i have now is a small pump.... i havent even tried it yet but it's got a flow regulator thing on it. i was planning on using just a lily pipe for the return flow.. on 2nd though maybe i shouldve drilled a hole in the black acrylic but its too late for that now.

i was gonna make little baskets out of acrylic to hold the biomax/purigen and force the water through the media before it reaches the pump
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I think drilling the back panel would have been ideal. Similar to the other all inclusive solutions(JBJ). If you can build these gems, I know you can do it! Less stuff in the tank and the adjustability of locline fittings.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Exact same thing I did to my 2.5 gallon, just not as pretty. By the way, your tank looks very nice and I like how you used a machine to cut the acrylic. Cuts on the cut out looks very clean.

But I decided to put my media in a nylon bag instead of making media racks like what you're doing.

Currently out of the hobby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Forum lurking every now and then
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

you could have made the slotting half way across the back wall. then devided that in half two seperate chambers leaving about a half inch gap at the bottom for the water to flow to the non slotted side. put a hole half way down the front of non slotted side and connected the out flow of your pump threw there back into the tank.
media chamber inflow/ pump out flow.
i have a similar design.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks for the input everyone.... i guess this tank was a prototype for me to see if i could get it to work or if it was a good idea to begin with. if i make another one in the future, i'll add more to it.. or plan out exactly what i wanna do.

green leaf... whats the loc line fittings for?

pinoyboy... thanks.. my router is my best friend. im actually gonna smooth out the edges more, i was too eager to fill it with water to see if it would work

plantscaper.. ah... makes sense. i thought the back area was a little too wide, i dont have a ton of media to put back there. i was gonna add a divider but thought i might need the space in the future if i want to put a heater or other stuff in the back so i left it open for now
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

loc line fitting for the return. its a nozzle type thing that can move

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTeal View Post
loc line fitting for the return. its a nozzle type thing that can move

ah yes... thanks..
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
Loc line is a type of water return system. you can add to it and connect Y's and other items to make a very nice clean return. I have included a picture of what the 1/2 inch looks like. There are a number of different parts here. You could put a hole in the back of the tank just big enough for the 1/2 inch male thread to go through and on the other side use white PVC and attach a 90 thread by thread elbow and then a barb adapter and tubing to the pump. It would look clean. You would have to use a gasket or O ring to get a seal but its not that important to.

Canon Pimp Club #005

Last edited by ZID ZULANDER; 12-22-2013 at 09:42 PM.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the tank looks good. if it fails for shrimps it would make a nice nanoreef

-SF Giants WS champs-
Haters gonna Hate
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

zid, thanks for the info and pics =D

teamteal... i wanted a baby nano reef tank but the LFS said its for experts only and sorta tried to discourage me saying everything has to be perfect and the water and lighting need to be perfect.. and i should start a 30gal saltwater tank instead =s
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
that is not right. You could totally do a saltwater reef in there. I would suggest getting a small skimmer. but other than that it would be fine. Weekly water changes and just 2 or 3 small fish would work out fine. Have water already made up to do like a gallon or two a week change and I dont think you would have any problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodohead View Post
zid, thanks for the info and pics =D

teamteal... i wanted a baby nano reef tank but the LFS said its for experts only and sorta tried to discourage me saying everything has to be perfect and the water and lighting need to be perfect.. and i should start a 30gal saltwater tank instead =s

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower

That is a nice job, I have been thinking of making something like this as well. Looks really good, this thread gave me some great ideas, thanks for sharing

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode