3Likes
  • 2 Post By klibs
  • 2 Post By klibs
  • 2 Post By CT_Ram

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tips For Painting background on Established tank?

I have an Established 20G tank and i would really like to Put a Background on it (Preferably just Black.) But putting one or the stupid roll backgrounds on it is going to be far too much hassle doe anyone have any tips for paint it while it has fish in it? or what type of paint would be safe to use? I can move the tank so all sides are accessible so thats not a problem i just wasnt sure if maybe there was a paint type to stay away from, I'm planning on doing it with a roller to avoid spraying into the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
i have done this before

make sure you cover the top of the tank and just use a roller. even easier if you can move the tank away from the wall for a bit. as long as you don't get paint in the tank you will be fine

I used apple barrel acrylic paint
Kaiede and Kaiede like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
i have done this before

make sure you cover the top of the tank and just use a roller. even easier if you can move the tank away from the wall for a bit. as long as you don't get paint in the tank you will be fine

I used apple barrel acrylic paint
How did the Apple Barrel Acrylic end up looking and how long has it lasted? I was going to avoid that brand because I've heard its not the best paint but I've heard that for airbrushing plastic models so it may just not be good for that Application.

I'm Planning on going with black and would like something that gives at least close to Professional results.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 10:28 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I agree with Klibs, using a roller is the way to go. Too risky spray painting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:18 PM
Planted Member

I recently did something like this, because the vinyl back was being a pain, and I wasn't looking forward to redoing it.

For something like glass, it may not be the best paint, but you just need it to get decent hold, and decent coverage. Certain qualities that make a good model paint, like flow, mixing, etc, don't apply here.

I didn't use Apple Barrel, and instead used the cheap 1$ for 2oz craft paint you can get at Michael's. They have even cheaper stuff at 80 cents for 2oz, but they recommended the 1$ stuff for glass. And a single 2oz tube was plenty for something like a 20 long or 29 gallon if you are just painting the back.

And I think Apple Barrel is more expensive than that unless you find some sort of deal.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 04:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Isnt it easier/better to get some black poster paper and use duct tape across top and bottom to hold it in place?

Will it look worse?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find glass is so slick that there are not too many paints that stick really too well so I go for what is easier for me. First point I might make is that very few will get a good coverage in one coat. I expect to do several coats to really get a full solid black without light places showing through. But I also find little value in using any special paint like craft paint when I have cans of leftover black paint from other jobs. For fish in tanks, I would lean away from oil based due to fumes but select just about any latex or other paints. Even with latex, I do add a small fan nearby to move any fumes away.
Several brushed on coats works as well for me as rolling as the roller tends to slide on glass and that leaves bare/thin spots. Whichever fits your hand best?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
like rich points out glass is a tough to paint because it is so smooth. I think it took me at least like 4 or 5 coats to get mine solid black. first coat or two didn't cover much at all. kind of end up rubbing it around on the glass. wait a few hours, do another coat, repeat... eventually it will come out real nice
Kaiede and Kaiede like this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:05 PM
Algae Grower

I have mine painted with plastidip. The guys at the fish store recommended it. Is like a rubber paint. It is cool cause it has a perfect finish but is like rubber so you can actually peal it off if you ever want to change it. It can be applied with a roller. But ya, whatever you use cover well the tank because of the fumes.
I am a big fan now of plastidip. I have the outlet tubes also painted with it. After is cures it can go under water. Even with the plecos cleaning the tubes it stays there and it does not harm the fish.
Syris and Syris like this.

55g - tetras, rasboras, SAE, britlenose, GBR, corys kuhlis
30g- britlenose, GBR
8g - Endlers
10g - Endlers
8g- Endlers, shrimp
5g- java moss ball tank, for the occasional breeding
150g- Pearl gourami, rasboras, ember t, rummynose t., cardinal t., Bolivian ram, Apisto cacatuoides
, SAE, britlenose, corys...
All low tech.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
CT_Ram I like the plasti-dip idea! Never heard than one before but I have used it on car parts before so I am familiar with it. I could see that working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-29-2017, 03:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Isnt it easier/better to get some black poster paper and use duct tape across top and bottom to hold it in place?

Will it look worse?

I did this on my 60g only I used black vinyl electrical tape - looks great.
On an empty 10g, I took it outside and used black Plastidip spray on the back and bottom.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klibs View Post
like rich points out glass is a tough to paint because it is so smooth. I think it took me at least like 4 or 5 coats to get mine solid black. first coat or two didn't cover much at all. kind of end up rubbing it around on the glass. wait a few hours, do another coat, repeat... eventually it will come out real nice
This is my experience as well. It takes about four or five coats of that apple paint from the local superstore to get the job done. I did not wait nearly that long to apply each coat, though it is a good idea to do so. The first coat is a real bear, them each successive coat gets easier. I had to remove the paint from the side of one of my tanks recently and it came off really easily with a razor blade. As mentioned, make it easy on yourself and use a cheapo foam roller instead of a brush--they sell them with a small plastic tray for a couple bucks.

When I painted mine that was already established, I drained 90% of the water out and then slid the tank away from the wall a few feet. Then I was able to paint easily and at my leisure but that was a 55g tank. A 20g is a lot less surface area to cover.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode