is there DIY for eggs laying fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
is there DIY for eggs laying fish

am trying to breed galaxy rasbora and i don't want them to eat the eggs when them spawn. is there any DIY where the eggs will fall through something and the fish cant reach to it and when the fry hatch it wont be able to go back through it. this way i could have both of them separate in the same tank.

currently i have riccia fluitans plant as ground cover in case if they lay eggs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
I heard people use marbles on the floor of the tank. That way when they lay their eggs, they fall in between the marbles where the parents can't reach them. I guess you just leave the eggs there until they hatch and swim out on their own.

I've also heard bottle brushes work, because the eggs will fall around the bristles, but the parents don't like being poked, so they leave them alone.

I never tried these, so I don't know just how effective they are.

Another idea, you could make some spawning mops and lay them on the bottom of tank. Again, not sure if it would work, but they are easy and cheap to make so it could be worth a shot...

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:55 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
java moss and after the babies hatch or after spawning if you catch them doing it move the parents to a breeder net or separate tank.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (18/100%)
One thing I've used successfully is a DIY egg trap it's much easier than moving the parents back and forth. Just check it every 3-4 days for eggs/fry use a flashlight because they are teeny tiny and amber colored. My friend Dennis has a good writeup on how to make one here- http://www.danionins.com/articles/diyeggtrap.html I use hot glue to put the traps together (yes im lazy) and have successfully used plastic sandwich containers also (with marbles in them to weigh them down).

This could possibly be modded in some way to keep the fry from coming back up through the mesh, but I'm not sure how you'd do that. I know if I leave a trap in for several days that I often see fry swimming around. For the most part, with these fish in particular if the tank is heavily planted, there will be lots of fry that survive. I think the window for them eating their own fry/eggs is very small compared to other species, as they have very small mouths.

Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />

Clubs are lame Club #1
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:09 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
one friend of mine uses cheap dollar store plastic plants all curled-up in a bunch... fry go in but parents don't...same "poking" thing as the bottle brushes.

Years back, an other friend bred danios like there was no tomorrow...all on a bed of glass marbles. The larger the margle, the wider the gaps between them (to let the fry out and the O≤ in)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
One thing I've used successfully is a DIY egg trap it's much easier than moving the parents back and forth. Just check it every 3-4 days for eggs/fry use a flashlight because they are teeny tiny and amber colored. My friend Dennis has a good writeup on how to make one here- http://www.danionins.com/articles/diyeggtrap.html I use hot glue to put the traps together (yes im lazy) and have successfully used plastic sandwich containers also (with marbles in them to weigh them down).

This could possibly be modded in some way to keep the fry from coming back up through the mesh, but I'm not sure how you'd do that. I know if I leave a trap in for several days that I often see fry swimming around. For the most part, with these fish in particular if the tank is heavily planted, there will be lots of fry that survive. I think the window for them eating their own fry/eggs is very small compared to other species, as they have very small mouths.

Best of luck.
Ah yes ballpc gave the link to me... He owns the website http://www.celestialpearldanio.com/f...wforum.php?f=5

I also see him selling CPDs on aquabid. He was very helpful when asked questions about how he breeds CPDs. I picked up that green material he uses from 1-2-3 stitch. It's called plastic Canvas.

by
, on Flickr

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode