DIY CO2 Diffuser question (Glass Nano Diffuser vs Chopstick) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
DIY CO2 Diffuser question (Glass Nano Diffuser vs Chopstick)

So I set up a DIY CO2 system last Sunday. It's a 2 liter bottle, into a DIY bubble counter, out to a check valve, and finally diffused in the aquarium via a chopstick that lays under and feeds into my power filter intake. I have to say that this system has worked great! I'm already noticing significant growth and have tons of bubbles feeding into my power filter.

Here's my dilemma: Earlier today I switched out the chopstick for a glass nano diffuser that I recently purchased, and now the amount of CO2 bubbles that I have coming out of the new glass nano diffuser have significantly decreased vs the output that I saw with the chopstick. Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot and increase the amount of CO2 coming out of the diffuser? I'm kinda bummed and ready to switch back to the chopstick...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbrewer View Post
So I set up a DIY CO2 system last Sunday. It's a 2 liter bottle, into a DIY bubble counter, out to a check valve, and finally diffused in the aquarium via a chopstick that lays under and feeds into my power filter intake. I have to say that this system has worked great! I'm already noticing significant growth and have tons of bubbles feeding into my power filter.

Here's my dilemma: Earlier today I switched out the chopstick for a glass nano diffuser that I recently purchased, and now the amount of CO2 bubbles that I have coming out of the new glass nano diffuser have significantly decreased vs the output that I saw with the chopstick. Any idea what I can do to troubleshoot and increase the amount of CO2 coming out of the diffuser? I'm kinda bummed and ready to switch back to the chopstick...
May just be an optical illusion as the diffuser is creating a lot of tiny bubbles that overall may look less, but really isn't. Is the amount of bubbles through your bubble counter the same? This will tell you part of the answer. The alternative is that the glass CO2 diffusers require your system to be pressurized to work, and your system may have a leak. You can check this with some soap water at the connections (the most likely place is where your tubing enters the soda bottle).
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
^^dont let the 5 posts fool ya...what he said!

oh wait...he has 2x your posts...nm

it is IMPOSSIBLE to find 1 person who regrets going pressurized

if you do it right, you can spend a lot of money in this hobby...of course, if you do it wrong - you'll spend A LOT more
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (25/100%)
I use the Coralife Limewood airstones..... Work Great, produce microbubbles

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CB8Q8wIwAw#
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Discovered a leak in my 2 liter bottle @ lid. Working on replacing and resealing lid now. Finger crossed!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Working great now! Woot! Woot!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode