3Likes
  • 2 Post By StevieD
  • 2 Post By Vohlk
  • 2 Post By anh2.0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
DIY decapsulating brine shrimp eggs, not hatching...

Hey everyone, recently i decapsulated some brine shrimp eggs. I mixed them in bleach solution untill the eggs turn orange, then gave it a good rinse.

however... they never hatch...

is it possible that some of the bleach solutions is still in the eggs and kill the babies?

if anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

many thanks! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
I have never decapsulated the eggs, I put them in a 20% saline solution add an airstone, and I usually get a good percentage hatching. Sometimes it is a better percentage than others.

Check this out from here FA18/FA023: Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs

I use sun tea jars, picked up four from good will for $2:50 each. Drill a hole in the top and run an airline with airstone attached.

Voila

Have fun and keep us posted as to your progress

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ironically the best hatch rate i ever had was when i just simpliy put eggs in a shallow (4 inch deep) 5 gallon basket out in the sun and they hatch after 24 hours. but doing this after a few weeks means you have a bunch of egg shells floating around.

I scoured the internet and it seems that my mistake might have been that i didnt keep it cool with ice cubes as this process can bring the temp up to 30C and results in the death of the brine shrimp.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
is it possible that some of the bleach solutions is still in the eggs and kill the babies?
Bleach is a man made sterilizing agent. At high enough levels it will kill everything. It is not pressent in nature. Why are you using it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
Bleach is a man made sterilizing agent. At high enough levels it will kill everything. It is not pressent in nature. Why are you using it?
bleach is use to decapsulate (dissolve) the outer shell of the brine shrimp eggs

Just an update to those that are reading, i got them to hatch today.

the only difference was me using ice cubes when decapsulating them.

the decapsulation process generate heat that kills the shrimp sadly =(.

But i guess now i know =)

Last edited by Darkblade48; 10-22-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Location: Park City KS (Our House consists of, 4 glass boxes 5 miniature dachshunds and a black cat)
Glad it worked for you I have kept fish for 50 years and never heard of using bleach to decapsulate them, and as long as it works that is all that matters.

Just out of curiosity were you hatching them indoors or outside and what temperature?

As I said previously mine were in a sun tea jar, in a low lit room, the house is normally kept at 72f summer and winter alike and I usually had a pretty decent hatch rate.

I did a quick search and found this article FA18/FA023: Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs but they are talking about a pound of brine shrimp. Google is my friend and a few seconds later found this site Brine Shrimp Eggs

Not quite as much as I had first thought but that sure is a LOT of Brine Shrimp.

Good luck to you, and may your hatch rates always be high
anh2.0 and anh2.0 like this.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have purchased decapsulated brine shrimp to feed directly, understanding that they will not hatch - you don't hatch a chicken if you remove the egg shell!!!

The OP indicates that his iced chlorinated decapsulated brine shrimp hatched??? But if you're going to hatch, why decapsulate?

As I understand it, the purpose of decapsulating is to feed directly, providing slightly more nutrition than hatched brine shrimp.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 03:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I have purchased decapsulated brine shrimp to feed directly, understanding that they will not hatch - you don't hatch a chicken if you remove the egg shell!!!

The OP indicates that his iced chlorinated decapsulated brine shrimp hatched??? But if you're going to hatch, why decapsulate?

As I understand it, the purpose of decapsulating is to feed directly, providing slightly more nutrition than hatched brine shrimp.
Depending on your fish, and how prone they are to intestinal blockages, some people decapsulate, then hatch in order to avoid the cysts or shells of the brine shrimp from causing potential intestinal blockages in case of accidental ingestion by the fish.
It's basically an additional safety net.
Again this varies per fish species.
And as you can imagine there are other ways to avoid this, but decapsulating is fairly easy enough.
anh2.0 and anh2.0 like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post

i would do that except some of my fish only take live food, this is a real big hassle with the eggs capsules since they dont always float to the top.

Once you figure out how to decaps before hatching you'll never go back =)

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieD View Post
Glad it worked for you I have kept fish for 50 years and never heard of using bleach to decapsulate them, and as long as it works that is all that matters.

Just out of curiosity were you hatching them indoors or outside and what temperature?

As I said previously mine were in a sun tea jar, in a low lit room, the house is normally kept at 72f summer and winter alike and I usually had a pretty decent hatch rate.

I did a quick search and found this article FA18/FA023: Decapsulating Brine Shrimp Eggs but they are talking about a pound of brine shrimp. Google is my friend and a few seconds later found this site Brine Shrimp Eggs

Not quite as much as I had first thought but that sure is a LOT of Brine Shrimp.

Good luck to you, and may your hatch rates always be high

Yup, decap before hatching is a great way to hatch eggs that are chitty (30-50% hatch rate becomes 90%).
dukydaf and dukydaf like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode