Plans for Auto-Water Change System - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to JDCharon
Plans for Auto-Water Change System

Good Afternoon PlantedTank folks,

So my wife and I are currently remodeling a home in Rhode Island that was originally built in 1894. Sheís basically in charge of everything and has ďallowedĒ me to have a 48Ē x 34Ē x Height TBD aquarium as a distraction. I have accepted these facts. Letís move on as if I am some how in charge of this situation!

The house is currently down to the studs. So it is an ideal time to plan things like plumbing and electrical socket availability. There is a bathroom directly behind where the aquarium will be and in that bathroom will be our washer/dryer. Theyíll actually be sharing a very convenient wall.

Now, here is the catch. I donít know anything about plumbing or electrical. Iíve dabbled here and there but nothing even close to this level. Iím certainly not about to risk sending a 200+ gallon tsunami through the Historic house that we are spending A LOT of $$$ renovating.

So my questions to you kind people are.... Has anybody personally tackled something very similar to this? I know Iíve seen dozens of DIY auto-water changers over the years and even more designs for them. However, Iím talking about hard plumbing PVC from the aquarium overflow to the washer drain. Iím going to need timers, solenoids, ball valves, water level sensors, and a clue. Hell, I havenít even started trying to figure out how to get water back into the aquarium yet.

Has anybody tackled this before? Do you have plans that a non genius could follow? Would you mind sharing said plans?

Any help you can provide will be sincerely appreciated! Iím hoping to make a fairly epic tank journal out of this. This aquarium will be about as high tech as it can get and I am very much looking forward to starting the process!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would look at a continuous drip system. Get a tank with an overflow and let it do its thing. No need to over complicate it if you have the option to do whatever you want with plumbing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to JDCharon
I agree that a continuous drip system would be ideal here. Iím going to be having the aquarium custom made by glasscages so having an overflow added would not be a big deal at all. Now, where to put the overflow is another topic entirely. Iíll figure that out later on though.

Sadly, I used to know a lot about this stuff. Unfortunately, it has been so long that I canít just pull details from memory any more. I was hoping somebody would have a design drawn out for a continuous drip system so that I could see exactly what I need and how I need to install it.

Thank you for the recommendation though!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode