Reverse drip system?... Peristaltic Dosing pump. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reverse drip system?... Peristaltic Dosing pump.

Last night I was thinking about installing a drip system in my tank.

Instead of dripping water into the tank and flushing the overflow down the drain (outside or wherever) I thought about using a dosing pump to constantly pump small amounts of water out of the tank then use a float valve to add water up to the set level when the water gets low from pumping it out of the tank.

I have a sump so I would put the dosing exhaust pump on the sump and also put the float refill valve in the sump to keep the sump at a constant level.

My thoughts were I wouldn't have to worry about the outflow being blocked and I would not be constrained by gravity on the outflow.

Your thoughts?

Dosing pump and valve would be about $25 total.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Reverse drip system?... Peristaltic Dosing pump.

Why bother with the dosing pump? An airline tube and airline control valve can siphon out water drips at a time if you want. The siphon tube just needs to run to just below the float valve so it never breaks siphon as long as the ATO is working.

The traditional method doesn’t need any electronics tho. You’re introducing 2 points of possible electronic failure.

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The advantage of the dosing pump is I can discharge from my tank / sump regardless of gravity. During the spring, summer and fall I can run a long tube into my yard, or the tomato plants on the porch. During the winter when an outside tube would freeze I can route the output to a drain inside.

I also like to keep my tank as clear from tubing, pipes and wires as possible. This is one of the reasons I like to run a sump. My heater, dosing pump, etc is all in my sump which greatly reduces the number of wires and tubing in the tank. The sump sits at floor level (below the level of the drain for the kitchen sink) so I have much less of a water level drop so a much weaker siphon (none at all for the kitchen sink drain).

Using a dosing pump to pump water out of the tank would also work for a tank in the basement where gravity is your enemy.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is there a way to make the ATO turn on the pump when the water is too high? Then just drip till the sump is ‘too full’ and automatically pump out the excess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't ask for advice. Ask for information, gather lots of information from different reliable sources. Then use the information to make your own advice.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRFriendz View Post
Is there a way to make the ATO turn on the pump when the water is too high? Then just drip till the sump is ‘too full’ and automatically pump out the excess.

I like your idea for an alternate approach to the conventional drip system... which is the reason I started the thread, to discuss alternate approaches. So please don't take offense when I shoot down the idea as risky if there is a power outage... I do appreciate the brain storming input!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know Rachel O’leary has a pump that turns on to move water up to a drain when it’s full. She did a video where she had to maintain it. I think it was part of her water change system for some tanks or something. Makes sense if you can’t plumb an overflow into a drain cuz the tank is too low.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode