• 4 Post By GraphicGr8s
  • 4 Post By theatermusic87
  • 2 Post By GraphicGr8s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1/4" overflow for drip-water change system:

I'm planning on creating a drip water-change system using airline tubing for water input and 1/4" RO tubing for overflows.

Has anyone heard of using this for tanks? I don't want to go with PVC plumbing because the system needs to be detachable and 1/4" has union fittings which allow this. Also, I don't think a big overflow is needed since I'm just overflow a couple drops at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Something clogs that 1/4" you are screwed. Since it's overflow use PVC but don't glue it up.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The vinyl timing should work on a hose Barb if it needs to be detachable. 1/4 is too small and will close easily. 1/2 out better yet 3/4 would be the minimum size

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Something clogs that 1/4" you are screwed. Since it's overflow use PVC but don't glue it up.
this. be careful with stuff like that

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

I am considering setting up a drip water change system myself. I think I am going to go with 1/2" tubing for the outflow. I agree with the others algae and other green gunk is going to build up over time and seal off 1/4" tubing. I am even a little worried about 1/2" tubing getting plugged with growth. I am thinking the safest way to go is to use a float valve so when the outflow tube does get plugged the drip tube shuts off automatically before an overflow.

I have a sump and will be running the drip system in the sump. Are you overflowing your system from the main tank or do you have a sump you are using?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm planning on drilling 2 holes for the 1/4" bulkheads and connecting RO wire throughout.

Since there will be a common drain in the back that goes out to the basement's drain, I will have to use glue if using PVC. The RO tubing just seemed so much easier so I wanted to try it.

Would following my same process with using 1/2" PVC tubing work? I want something I can cut and bend in the future if I want to add tees or divert.

I'll be using two overflow holes in each tank in case of clogs.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasstheboss View Post
I'm planning on drilling 2 holes for the 1/4" bulkheads and connecting RO wire throughout.

Since there will be a common drain in the back that goes out to the basement's drain, I will have to use glue if using PVC. The RO tubing just seemed so much easier so I wanted to try it.

Would following my same process with using 1/2" PVC tubing work? I want something I can cut and bend in the future if I want to add tees or divert.

Tubing is generally flexible. PVC is generally not flexible. You can get 1/2" flexible PVC pipe but it is not nearly as flexible as vinyl tubing. You should be able to do what you want to do with a variety tubing types.

I believe the 1/4" tubing you referred to in your first post is Polyethylene tubing, it is much more rigid than vinyl tubing. PLEX is a commonly available Polyethylene that comes in 1/2" and is semi-flexible like the RO water lines you referred to. PLEX is made to handle much higher water pressures than vinyl tubing, so is flexible PVC pipe. For a drain you don't need a high pressure rated pipe... but there would be nothing wrong with using one.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasstheboss View Post

Started thinking about this the other day. You are going to connect your drain right into your waste system? In effect you are connecting your fish tanks water to your sewer. If the sewer were to back up it could wind up in your tank.

Look at everything in your house. There is always an air gap between your potable water and the waste water. Even my RO unit has an air gap in the spout on the sink.

An air gap is pretty simple really. Just put the smaller waste pipe from the tanks into the middle of a reducer fitting. Example. Using a 1" "sewer' pipe get a reducer from 2" to 1". The 1" goes on the sewer side and your 1/2" pipe is inside the 2" bell end of that reducer and is not actually connected to it. It is centered right above. And add a P trap to keep sewer gases out of the house.
Attached Images

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode