LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY co2 checker solution using BTB?

Sep 20, 2017
CO2 indicator solution
Hey there,

I want to create my own all in one co2 indicator solution using btb. I can get my hands on a 1% solution, which i want to dilute in such a way that I can fill my drop checker with just one solution e.g. 5ml and nothing else.

Is my assumption correct that I just have to dilute 1ml of the 1% solution with 10ml of 4dkh solution to get a total of 11ml of 0.1% solution?

Can I then just fill my drop checker with 5ml of this solution? Or do i need to dilute it even more?

Any help is appreciated here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:44 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
To go from a 1% solution to a 0.1% solution of bromothymol blue, you require 1 mL of the 1% solution and 9 mL of the 4 dkH reference solution.

Your current calculation results in a 0.09% solution.

Also, you can try this first and see if the colour is too opaque. There is no strict amount of indicator that you must add; I usually just eyeball it so that I can see the colour, without it being opaque.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
To go from a 1% solution to a 0.1% solution of bromothymol blue, you require 1 mL of the 1% solution and 9 mL of the 4 dkH reference solution.

Your current calculation results in a 0.09% solution.

Also, you can try this first and see if the colour is too opaque. There is no strict amount of indicator that you must add; I usually just eyeball it so that I can see the colour, without it being opaque.
Thanx DB, what do you mean with your last sentence? "you can try this first and see if the colour is too opaque" English is not my native language. A 0.1 solution is the solution we need, right? And do i need to add additional tank water or just the 0.1 solution in my drop checker? I would prefer to create an all-in-one so i only have 1 bottle to fill my checkers with.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Thanx DB, what do you mean with your last sentence? "you can try this first and see if the colour is too opaque" English is not my native language. A 0.1 solution is the solution we need, right? And do i need to add additional tank water or just the 0.1 solution in my drop checker? I would prefer to create an all-in-one so i only have 1 bottle to fill my checkers with.
I have never measured out the final concentration of bromothymol blue to be 0.1%.

You cannot use aquarium water inside a drop checker. You need to use a solution of known carbonate hardness, where bicarbonate/carbonate are the only contributing species (usually a 4 dkH reference solution is used).

For the bromothymol blue, what I meant is that I just add 3-5 drops; the solution should still be somewhat see through (translucent), and should not be completely opaque.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So basically I could just fill a bottle with 4dkh and add as many drops of btb until the solution is still see through? Does that represent 30ppm? And what does 20ppm? Different KH?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
So basically I could just fill a bottle with 4dkh and add as many drops of btb until the solution is still see through? Does that represent 30ppm? And what does 20ppm? Different KH?
Yes, the amount of bromothymol blue that you add is not particularly critical. You don't want it completely opaque, but you also don't want to add so little that you cannot see the colour change.

Using a 4 dkH reference solution, the carbon dioxide reaches approximately 30 ppm when the drop checker is green.

For 20 ppm, you can use a different carbonate hardness solution.

Anthony

and

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode