• 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By GraphicGr8s
  • 2 Post By TSLA_pi_16

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another Cinder Block Stand

Does this look sound? So far everything is as level as it was before I test filled it. The wood is 3 2x6s.

Bump: Side view
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	789946  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	789954  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yes. Very sound. In fact, there is a good chance the center board in the last shot could be pulled out as it is not really going to support anything. Can't imagine what amount of pressure it would take to make an 18-20 inch piece of glass bow along the vertical side and the bottom is not resting on the boards anyway so supporting it is not being done, no matter how we build the stand.
The only critical point is getting the four corners level. Many people confuse their tank failing as being lack of support when the real cause is uneven support. One corner even 1/4 inch higher than the rest will certainly put lots of pressure and make a glass split.
This is a place where a laser level is super easy to make certain the four points are correct. But then a long bubble level can work but just a bit more care needed to read the bubble accurately.
Do not trust floors to be level and true as they rarely are totally correct, especially concrete.
Worth checking!
seandelevan and seandelevan like this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 09-17-2017 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added info
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Yes. Very sound. In fact, there is a good chance the center board in the last shot could be pulled out as it is not really going to support anything. Can't imagine what amount of pressure it would take to make an 18-20 inch piece of glass bow along the vertical side and the bottom is not resting on the boards anyway so supporting it is not being done, no matter how we build the stand.
The only critical point is getting the four corners level. Many people confuse their tank failing as being lack of support when the real cause is uneven support. One corner even 1/4 inch higher than the rest will certainly put lots of pressure and make a glass split.
This is a place where a laser level is super easy to make certain the four points are correct. But then a long bubble level can work but just a bit more care needed to read the bubble accurately.
Do not trust floors to be level and true as they rarely are totally correct, especially concrete.
Worth checking!
Thanks. And you are almost right about the center board....I can't move it but I can see light between it and the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Worth checking!
Amen Amen Amen.
If only we can get others to understand that.

One additional thought. I stopped using levels at all. I add enough water to reach the bottom trim and use that as my level.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Amen Amen Amen.
If only we can get others to understand that.

One additional thought. I stopped using levels at all. I add enough water to reach the bottom trim and use that as my level.
Makes sense!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I like to use the laser level for the ease of use but other levels are good as well. The reason I tend to like to use levels is to avoid potential tank twisting if my eyeball is not true. If one spot is off by a bit and I add water and weight in the tank, I just get this creepy feeling that I might hear a big pop as I fill it the rest of the way.
Probably paranoid and too many fun tools on hand but I have not broken a tank on a stand and really want to keep it that way.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Everything looks perfect for now. But as time passes by, those wooden studs will warp and become uneven. When that happens, the 4-corners will get stressed. Here is what I would do. Insert a 3/4" polywood (cut to the size of the tank) underneath the tank to level out the unevenness.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 11:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Kiln dried wood, heavy weight on top of a short length? Doesn't happen when we build a stud wall and the 2X is only nailed at each end of an 8 footer. I'm saying that if a couple sheets of sheetrock can hold 2X from bowing when vertical, a tank full of water can do it when flat.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSLA_pi_16 View Post
Everything looks perfect for now. But as time passes by, those wooden studs will warp and become uneven. When that happens, the 4-corners will get stressed. Here is what I would do. Insert a 3/4" polywood (cut to the size of the tank) underneath the tank to level out the unevenness.
If you saw some of the stands in some of the fish farms you would wonder how they could even hold up the tanks. Yet they do. And the tanks don't leak. And they've been there for years.
@PlantedRich
I check the corners with a piece of chip board (use on the back of note pads) and if it can't fit between the tank and stand I am good with it. My biggest problem comes from not putting the crown right and having to unscrew and flip it over. Most times when it's cut down it doesn't matter but every so often it creeps in.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode